Monday, May 4, 2015

May 4- Striped Apes Go Apeshit

Here is our North Carolina Bonito Species....... Average 4-8 lbs. World Record 18 ls 4oz

The "other side of the World" has a Bonito called the DOGTOOTH TUNA

The Dogtooth Tuna is one of Earth's Greatest Game Fish

The World Record Dogtooth Tuna is 230 lb 6oz. It is a Reef Species and is a great challenge to catch
This morning I called my personal good luck charm, Jeremy, into action. I only use Jeremy occasionally. He is not a Fisherman, he does not Fish. Whenever he goes with me GREATNESS ENSUES. He has, in 2 trips, seen a total of 17 NC Citations caught. He has seen a 24 Cobia day. He has seen a 94 lb Cobia caught. He has seen a 7 Citation Black Drum day. He is, without a doubt, my Good Luck Charm! So this morning, I grabbed Jeremy and we went Bonito fishing! We only had a couple of hours, like yesterday. Fortunately, for Bonito Fishing, the morning bite is where it's at! This morning was typical. Fish were busting sporadically for a hour from approximately 645 until 745. After that, blind casting and letting the sting silver sink paid dividends. Then, on the way home, we hit a rare bonus. We found a school of Bonito in extremely shallow water. A first for me. In all my years scouring the Cape Lookout Shoals, I've never seen them in the skinny water.

Dammit I typed for an hour on my phone working on this Report and lost it all when my battery died! Try it again some other day...

I ain't typing all that again. I've lost it twice. To summarize, we caught them good on structure,as expected. Then on the way home, we found a school boiling in 4-6 ft of water. Gulls, Terns, and Gannets joined the fray and the ball of Redbait was rapidly disappearing. We got 3 more Bonito out of this most exciting scenario! Bonito in 4 ft of water is very Bonefishesque in its fight. SUPER! Total Catch for the Day: 11 Atlantic Bonito from 4 to 7 lbs each, 30 Bluefish up to 2 lbs, and 4 Black Sea Bass up to 13"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back on your game, Cap'n.

Anonymous said...

Make a pic of a gannet and am not googling when you know EVERYTHING!!! Eg

Capt. Marty said...

I will text you so many Gannets that you'll wish you'd never asked!

I'll text you one Gannet a day for the next year. Start May 6, 2015--End May 6, 2016

Get ready for your Gannet

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the beautiful pic!!! One is sufficient. Eg Oh and i forgot to ask you, can you eat blue marlin??? Something I always wanted to know.