Saturday, October 17, 2015

Oct 16- Fat Albert Frenzy

Fifteen year ago, Ten years ago, Five years ago..... George Bush and everybody else in the World who fished with Fly Tackle would descend on Beaufort Inlet and Barden's Inlet in October and November to chase the suddenly popular Little Tunny, better known as, and incorrectly known as: Albacore, False Albacore, and Bonito.... Call him Fat Albert and everyone knows who "that fish is"....  I pesonally call them Albacore, but I'd love to catch a real, or True Albacore! Just DON'T call him a Bonito because the real Bonito in everything a Fat Albert is plus it's great eating.... (Shut Up Capt Marty, it's late)  What I was getting at is this, there are millions of Albacore around Cape Lookout right now and there are very few guys out chasing them. We found them yesterday along with a few of their sleek gray enemies..... This morning. I ran out there to try them on my 5wt Fly Rod. By myself. It's tough, I quickly frustrated myself. Pulled out the metal on spin and caught them on 4 straight casts at one point. In 2 hours, I released 7 Albacore and had a great time! As I told BenJeye yesterday, It's one of my favorite things. Releasing hard fighting but otherwise worthless Fat Alberts. And yes, I know that nowadays they have some value and the Fish Houses are buying them. To me, if they ain't worth $1 a pound, they ain't getting mine..... It just isn't worth if. Every single Albacore, or whatever you choose to call them, they EARN their freedom. Let them go! It makes me feel good...... Total Catch for the Day: 7 Albacore from 8 to 11 lbs

No comments: