Thursday, October 8, 2015

Oct 7- Fishing, Flounder, and the Flood

Well.......  After 13 years, 30+ NC Flounder Citations, precisely 34 NC Sheephead Citations..... A 6 lb 2oz Gray Trout, a 10 lb 6oz Flounder, a 12 lb 8oz Flounder....... My career best Tautog, Conger Eel, and huge Lookdowns...... A freaking 9 lb Jumping Mullet in my Castnet....... A 1000+ Squid up to 36"...... It's Coming to an END.......

The Things I've seen over there at South Dock through the years! A Pigmy Sperm Whale. An Asian Tiger Shrimp. A Glasseye Snapper. Y'all get the picture????? The Flounders, and the Sheepheads, and the Squid really MADE THAT PLACE ROCK though.... A Scuba Diver was checking the Prop on a Ferry over there back in September of 2004. I'll never forget it. I was headed to work, a NIGHT Shift. I had my cast net, my bait bucket, and my 15 foot landing net (I was ready in other words).... He came up, and said, I'll never forget it, he said, "Does anyone ever fish over here? Because I'm here to tell ya, there are Flounder down there like shingles on a roof......" That night between 1230am and 400am I caught 28 Southern Flounders. 20 of them were over 3 lbs. 5 of them were over 6 lbs. The largest was 10 lbs 6oz.... My Captain laughed at me as he walked on the Boat. "You been up all night? What an idiot" Idiot Indeed. The Events that make you and shape you.

It's all coming to an end..... This is MY LAST SHIFT at The Hatteras Inlet Ferry Operation.... Next week, I start working at The Cedar Island Ferry Operation. Therefore, this Is My Last Chance to fish the Glorious South Dock, which is located on the North End of Ocracoke Island.... Too bad #1 The Finger Mullet run was peaking 2 weeks ago. The Flounder shadow the Finger Mullet at Hatteras Inlet.... #2 We just had our "Hurricane for 2015".... Not really, but we had the Rain of a Hurricane plus more and we nearly had the wind... The water was "as high as" all the Storm Surges I've experienced down at Hatteras Village. The exception would be Hurricane Isabel. That seems like a lifetime ago. It was 2003, my second year at Hatteras..... Oh well, in other words, THE WEATHER RUINED THE FISHING! I been saying that ALL YEAR. Is it just me? What an assed-up year of Fishing.... Top Water Charters has had a terrible year and I have caught less fish than any year back to..... I'd guess 1985. Another story for another day, but I re-discovered Fishing in April of 1986 after kinda quitting in it for 2-3 years.... Other things seemed more important, for about 3 years.....

Anyway, my crewmate and Harker's Islander Ben-Jeye Taylor has Commercial Fished and been a 3rd Percentile Mercenary his entire life and has never caught a fish.... We have talked about and planned for this Night Run all the way back to May...... WE certainly weren't going to let Floodwaters, Erosion, Dirty Water, No Bait, Dead Basin, High Wind, ChowdaHead Josh or anything else keep us from Fishing. Ben-Jeye had heard all my stories. He wanted to catch a Flounder... Like I said, there was NO LIVE BAIT to be caught. The Tide was falling/LOW all night. The Water was HIGH as HELL and Filthy all Night   (It takes a great Outdoorsman to Understand the paradox of "Low Tide" and "Extremely High Water" but you will have to trust me, I know what I'm talking about)  The deck was stacked against Ben-Jeye as we started our Late Night Fishing Session. Imagine my suprize when on his 3rd or 4th cast Ben-Jeye decked a fat 17" Southern Flounder on a Gulp Shrimp! Awesome. Mission Accomplished! It wasn't great, but an hour later, I had caught 2 Southern Flounders and Ben-Jeye had caught 2 Southern Flounders. I had the best one at 2 lbs.... The weather is improving, the conditions are improving, maybe the Mullet will come back, and I've got 5 more nights at Hatteras Inlet. SAD.... HAPPY..... All rolled up into one! Total Catch for the Night: 4 Southern Flounder up to 2 lbs

No comments: