Saturday, November 7, 2015

Nov 7- New York Heartbreak

This Salmon refused to leave my Boot. I swear she beached herself when I left the River

Someone else's fish..... Brown Trout, Atlantic Salmon, and a Steelhead. I'd kill for this stringer

I landed this pitiful Salmon. Believe it or not, this guy put up an epic battle. First fish on my new 8wt Fly Rod
Very very very disappointing. By Oak Orchard mid-November standards, the fishing is OFF. The Salmon are nearly done. Lots of dying Chinook Salmon all around. For a good ole North Carolina boy, I'm not used to "ignoring" dozens of 10-20 lb fish swimming and splashing all around me. Its different. Also, according to the multitude of experts that I met, its too early for the Steelhead to be running good.... I have also learned that, with the exception of the two Monster Browns that I stumbled into 5 minutes into my Fishing Vacation, I have Absolutely No Skill, No Knowledge, or No Insight into this Fishery At All...... In summary, from 9am yesterday until 3pm today, I SUCKED. The one decent Salmon I hooked, I broke my rod and my line, then made a damn fool out of myself bellyflopping on my fish in the cold, turbulent water. I got him, damn it could've been much worse. My Phone, my camera were all at risk. That, my friends, was my highlight. Two Trophy Browns and Two Chinook Salmons on Day 1.  Day 2 was an error after error after error...... Early I missed a "NC Monster" Brown Trout, that wouldve been a baby here. Maybe a 3 lb Trout that ate my bait and charged out of the shadows right in my direction. I never came tight and he was gone as fast as he came. POOF. That was it. That was my entire story from 7am until 3pm. Pitiful. Then, finally, at 3pm I got in a spot and a stretch of fishing that was as Good, Tense, Exciting, and Challenging as any Fishing that I've done in Years...... I pretty much found an active Redd, which is a spot where a female Salmon have created a nest by actively swishing their tails in the gravel.... So, pretty much for 2 hours I stood twenty feet from a spot that was constantly attended to by from two to eight Salmon. At times you could see the males roll on their sides and shudder as they released their milt. Casting my wooly boogar into the Redd, I hooked Salmon after Salmon. It was incredible and intense action. Unfortunately for the "bottom line results", the topography and other obstacles made it necessary to put lots of pressure on these Salmon pretty quickly. The end result of this was that I broke off 3 Chinook Salmon and pulled and/or bent hooks on 4 more Chinook Salmon. When I finally landed a 15 lb Chinook Salmon, it was a male fish that had started to deteriate. He only had a few days of life left in him, but he still managed to battle me for 7-8 minutes. Then, in the rain and nearly dark, I hooked a green female Chinook Salmon. This girl had to be fresh in from Lake Ontario. An incredible fight and when I finally beached her, it was pouring rain. I was soaked and I had planned all day to "harvest" a Salmon. This wouldve been the one. But, I couldn't do it. She earned her freedom. (That and too many guys had told me that I'd be disappointed in their taste). I had a gallon bag full of Salmon meat from the day before. By the way, a guy beside me caught a 25" Atlantic Salmon. Judging my the jumps and fight in general, I believe I lost one yesterday. DAMMIT if True.... I hooked a "smallish" Salmon that was prodding and harassing the old beat female Salmon that was fascinated with my leg/my boot. (See top picture) So I hooked the small Salmon and its strength and quickness caused me to screw up by committing a foolish foolish mistake. As the little Salmon ripped line off my Reel, the simplistic action of a Fly Reel actually causes your reel to spin backwards. With my lack of experience, I allowed my fingers to get caught by the spinning knob on my spool and PING he was gone. I was reminded of my epic failure at least 3 times in the next 5 minutes as the Salmon continued to leap in effort to shed my fly. This badboy jumped straight up and did a backflip. Three times. Had to be an Atlantic Salmon. Had to be. I'm sick thinking about it. An Atlantic Salmon. Fish of Kings. Fish of Aristrocracy. Fish of the Super Wealthy. Fish of the Elite. The Atlantic Salmon are in the western NY tribs right with the rest of them! I never thought I'd see one beyond the pages of a magazine. Total Catch for the Day: 2 Cinook Salmon at 15 lbs each

No comments: