Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Nov 17- Speckled Trout on Foot

The last few days that I spent on the Cedar Island Ferry were tough. Absolutely gorgeous weather. Pamlico Sound has been just like a mirror. I've been getting antsy knowing that the 2015 season is coming to an end and the Speckled Trout should be chewing. With the Flywheel cracked on my Suzuki, I am pretty limited in my opportunities. Begging rides or Foot Fishing. Since I just finished up my shift at work, I hadn't had time to set up anything really intriguing. So I decided to make the hike, despite a swollen and very sore right knee, out to the south end of Radio Island. Based on recent history, there should be plenty of action for "foot warriors". I haven't been around in a couple of weeks, but based on about 2008 through 2013, fishing should be really good for small Speckled Trout. 100 fish days are possible. I remember many rallies were I'd catch a Trout on 25-30 straight casts. The problem (nothing can be "that" good) is that 95% of these Seatrout are to small. Fun but too short. Averaging 12-13". In my experience, 2014 numbers were down, as was my effort. Getting older? I can't remember why I didn't make the hike as much last winter.....  Armed with this info and history, I limped from the Beach Access down to where the Jetty begins. Emma and I. She loves it and she stayed mad at me all last year. Emma loves to devour a Trout while laying in the sand at the water's edge. She watches my every move and she knows the instant that I set the hook on my first Trout of the day. If I don't start for shore as I reel in my first Speckled Trout; she will actually swim out to where I'm standing. Well, today the fishing was not great. I fished from 230pm until 4pm. The Tide was High but Falling. There was a Boat that was struggling to anchor in a place that ruined the area we fish from the Beach. This NitWit was bound and determined to anchor up "inside" the Rocks. Oh well, I wasted the first 45 minutes fishing in 3-5 foot of water that was run over by a 175HP Evinrude every 5 minutes for 30 minutes. Bite Buster! After these guys left, I finally caught 8 Speckled Trout before my leaking Wader forced me off the water. Emma got hers. I had one keeper at 15". That's all. Total Catch for the Day: 8 Speckled Trout up to 15" and 1 Inshore Lizardfish

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love the nitwits who do that. Can only feel sorry for them if that is best place they can come up with. Radio Island has been disappointing this year I've only pulled one limit on a 20 fish day. Fat Alberts in there for a bit this morning crashing silverside right on the bank. Was crazy with them zipping all around and behind me as I waded. Could not get bit and only managed lizards. If the weather ever cooperates you're welcome to hitch a ride with me whenever it works. Mark A