Saturday, November 21, 2015

Nov 20- Speckled Trout Fishing

Looks like a Football Weekend for me. No Boat and No Calls for Fishing, Thanks to my buddy Jeremy Dixon for offering me use of his 21ft Carolina Skiff. I could've would've should've caught some great Speckled Trout this week. Lots of Fish around. All the Small Trout you can imagine. Real good numbers of nice keepers in the 15-18" class. Quite a few Trout in that lovely 20" class that weigh 3 lbs each. These are the Trout that make us fall in love with Trout Fishing..... And, due to appear at any time: The Trophy Trout. The 5-8 pounders that we all encountered in our youth! Them boys are due any time now.................. So okay, no one called Captain Marty Moore that wanted to go Trout Fishing from Tuesday November17th through Sunday November 22nd. I don't blame you guys. It seems that I'm just a shell of my Former Fishing Self. The reality is..... I wanted to go and take someone out on a Serious Trout Fishing Trip. I needed the Income. But since no one was interested, I didn't go.... See, I'm not that interested. All I want, is to get my ass in a River either in the Mountains or Up North. My thoughts and dreams and desires have left the Salt Water of Eastern North Carolina behind...... Now don't get me wrong, I still want to fish, but in this case, I chose Radio Island. It's easy, it's fishy, it's good exercise. I did not want to kill a bunch of Speckled Trout. So I did not borrow Jeremy's Boat. I simply walked out to Radio Island and caught Speckled Trout. Now, I think the rest of my weekend I will go on a "FOOTBALL TOUR". Starting with the East Carteret Mariners Friday Night. "Little" cousin Duncan Englehardt is killin it at Middle Line Backer for the 10-2 Mariners. Saturday, its on to Raleigh and the NCState vs Syracuse Game. Where "real" student athletes play football, pretty poorly, but hey, these guys got real tests and can actually read and write. No Pine Cone Turkeys or paste and copy 5 th Graders Book Reports..... Should be a real crapfest, but "Go Wolfpack" Or as Ryan Handsbro says, "Go Wolpfack"..... Finally, on Sunday, Jennifer and I will be attending the Carolina Panthers gane against the Washington Redskins. This will be a great time for us, even though my scheme to end up at South Mountain State Park (Blue Ribbon Trout Streams) fell through.... Damn I nearly pulled off a rare doubleheader. NFL Football and Mountain Trout Fly Fishing..,... Oh Dammit. Oh yeah, I walked out to Radio Island today. Fished the Western Shore. Tough wind on the "other side" hampered fishing. On the west side it was to my back. Cast a country mile..... Trout, Trout, Trout..... Then, holy shit I hooked a monster. Standing waist deep and about 30 yards from shore I had hooked a deep boring and head shaking monster. I knew what it was..... On the 8# mono, I was going to have to get lucky. I got him TO ME but I had NO NET. Now I had to walk him to shore. Halfway there, one final incredible head shake and my approximately 25" and 7 lb Flounder was GONE. Damn man, it made me smile. 5 years ago when I actually caught 2 or 3 Citation Flounders a year, if this would've happened, I would've gone apeshit ballistic.....Beat Myself Up for days..... I have mellowed. I actually smiled and chuckled to myself. Really it was a great fight and a great feeling. All that's missing is a Picture and a Baked Flounder. Total Catch for the Day: 11 Speckled Trout from 12-14" and 3 Inshore Lizardfish     

2 comments:

Jordan said...

How bout that Pack Capt Marty. We will see how they do against the holes this weekend. I will shoot you an email about Alaska sometime in the near future.

Capt. Marty said...

Nice.... Hope GOOD prevails over EVIL.... Good vs Bad. Integrity Virtue Honesty vs Cheating.

In a perfect world, a CERTAIN TEAM I know would be 0-11 instead of 10-1. Hopefully NCSU will do their job and then the NCAA will do their job.

In reality, it isn't nearly as important as things like Alaska, Fishing, and Trout and such......

Look forward to hearing about your adventures in Alaska.

I am going to try to do something similar next summer.... In the meantime, the NY trip definitely fulfilled a couple of my Freshwater Goals, and definitely surpassed anything I ever expected to do in regards to Brown Trout on a Fly Rod. Trust me, Im not that good at it. To catch a 16 lb Brown Trout 10 minutes after entering the water for the first time up there was nothing short of a MIRACLE on sooooo many levels....

Now, I want my Pacific Caught King Salmon. I want my Coho. I want my Halibut. I want my Lingcod. I want my (Red and Yellow) Rockfish..... Equally important, I want my Grayling. I want my Char. And I want my Sockeye Salmon..... Thats alot of WANTS..... That's why I need to get started!

Capt Marty