Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Feb 11 Plenty of Action: Largemouth Bass and Red Drum







I had to go fishing today. Nothing else mattered. I figured it was a little breezy for the Boat. First stop was a Down East Creek where Speckled Trout and Red Drum can be found as cars and trucks pass overhead. I put on my waders and took a short walk up the shoreline and found a school of very small Red Drum. Probably 6-9 inch fish, very small indeed. After I caught and released 7 Red Drum I figured the stress of winter was enough and they didn't need me harrassing them so I left them alone. My next stop was in Beaufort at a couple of Local Urban Mung Holes that I like to fish. One spot didn't disappoint! After a slow start, I caught Bass after Bass on yellow hackle/black bladed Roostertail in-line spinner. These Largemouth Bass ranged from 8" to 1.5 pounds. I almost believe that I caught every Bass in the entire pond! By the time I left, every cast would be followed all the way back to my feet by 2-3 Bass that wouldn't bite. They had probably already been caught once. Bass and Bream were even biting at the ripple where my line entered the water. It was good fishing. The warm temperatures have certainly brought these small Ponds back to life. Fishing by myself, therefore Red Drum photos were impossible and Largemouth Bass photos were "in-hand" and"in-water" shots. Total Catch for the Day: 7 Red Drum, 30 Largemouth Bass, 3 Bluegill

No comments: