Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Old Fishing Pictures Part 4





Here are three pictures from the early 1990's. Picture 1 The first picture is of my old pal Tom Whitehead from Greenville with a 45 lb Cobia. Tom introduced me to some great Largemouth Bass and Hickory Shad fishing around Pitt County during my college days. The Tar River and lots of nearby Oxbows, Pitchkettle Creek, Contentnea Creek, Burrus Construction's Barrow Pits, Voice of America Lake, Carolina Opry House, White's Concrete, The Original Mung Hole, State Lakes in Grimesland and, best of all Graham Flannigan's private Bass-Filled Pond. Many a day I whacked 50+ Bass on a Devil's Toothpick out of Flannigan's Pond. I even got NC Freshwater Citations for Green Sunfish and Yellow Perch from 2 of Tom's spots. We fished from his Johnboat or on Foot and we carried plenty of Beer and other non-fishing essentials. In return, I helped him catch his Cobia off the Papoose in April of 1990. We also caught lots of Beeliners, Red Porgys, Triggerfish, King Mackerels, and I caught a 56 lb Amberjack. Picture 2 Tom and I also lived to tell about a few crazy adventures on the Ocean. Here in June of 1990, we are trolling "way out there" south of the Big Rock in an 18 foot Boston Whaler Outrage with no loran, no gps, no cell phone, and no VHF radio. Were we STUPID or what? Somehow we always made it home with nice catches of Dolphin, King Mackerel, Barracuda, Amberjack, and Cobia. That summer now seems like a lifetime ago. Picture 3 Look at my hair and nearly perfect complexion. What happened! This fishing trip pretty much ruined my life for a couple of months on Valentine's Day in 1992. I decided to go Bottom Fishing on the Aeoulus and nearby 240 Rocks with Tony E and the Rouser on The Boogar and left my lovely fiance in Greenville all by herself. Needless to say, the next day, a cooler full of nice 2 pound Black Sea Bass, lots of Red Porgys, a 10 lb American Red Snapper, and a 22 lb Blackfin Tuna did NOT make things better in her eyes. My life was miserable for months! BTW, the following year, in March of '93, I finished her off with a 7 lb 15 oz Triggerfish. She didn't recognize the importance of a Citation Triggerfish when she saw one. Anyway, I'm still happily fishing and she is happily married to a dude called "Buck-Snort".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

speaking of Rouse..have you talked to him lately, i have been worried...i can't just call him...old high school friend ;)...lol..don't want to get him in trouble with wifey...

Capt. Marty said...

As well as expected. Hopefully his problems will pass and one day his biggest worry will be where to catch a SpTrout.

Anonymous said...

i sure hope so...tell him his ole sweetie from the island is thinking of him and to call me if he needs any thing at all..