Saturday, February 28, 2009

Feb 27 Fishing for Largemouth Bass


I fished a small Pond near Wal-Mart for a few minutes this morning in Morehead City while I was out running errands. I hadn't fished this spot since last October and I thought the fishing might be good. I was wrong. I only caught 2 Largemouth Bass on a small in-line spinner. These Bass were very colorful with dark green backs and bold black markings on their flanks. They were also pretty small, around 6" to 7" each. Later in the afternoon, I got an invite to fish in a couple of old Ponds in Beaufort that I haven't fished since 1990. Originally Old Barrow Pits, these Ponds are legendary producers of Big Bass and have been a heavily guarded secret for years. Access has been difficult due to No Trespassing Signs, being in a heavily wooded area, an inpenetrable shoreline, and for the last 18+ years the nearest homeowners have always had at least 4-5 Pit Bull-Rottweiler mixed-breeds named Diablo running loose. The few guys that have fished here through the years have always told tales of awesome top water action and plenty of Largemouth Bass from 2 to 8 pounds. Right in the "Heart of Olde Beaufort". Today wasn't the day, though. We fished late in the afternoon and 3 of us had NO bites. Total catch for the Day: 2 Largemoth Bass

No comments: