Thursday, March 12, 2009

March 12 Hickory Shad Fishing







Chris and I went to the Cow Pen Landing today hoping the Neuse River was back to normal. Unfortunately, the level was still high, the current was running hard, and the water was still dirty. It was nice on the North shore, with the wind at our backs and there were a few fish around. We also fished Pelican Landing and Spring Garden. Between the two of us, we probably made 500 casts. I had 8 strikes, lost a 3-4 lb. White Shad that I nearly had my hands on, and landed 5 Hickory Shad. Chris caught 4 Hickory Shad and missed a couple. We soaked a cut bait for an hour and never had a bite. All the Hickory Shad that we caught were females loaded with roe and they all weighed over a pound. There is nothing like that first Shad of the year, mine smoked a silver spoon right at my feet and make 4 somersalts in about 10 seconds. It was awesome! To sum it up, it wasn't great fishing, but it was still fun. We also had a close encounter with a Wild Turkey. It walked right up to us. Chris, who hunts, said he had a 8-10" beard. That's a nice one, I reckon. Total Catch for the Day: 9 Hickory Shad

No comments: