Friday, March 27, 2009

March 27 Red Drum and Fly Rod Action











This morning was my first chance to use a new 3 wt Fly Rod and Reel that I recently got. I had a blast at a small Pond here in Beaufort. My first cast with a popping bug got a nice flash underneath my fly and my second cast got hammered by a chunky little Bass. After 30 minutes I left with 4 Largemouth Bass and 4 Bluegills released. This afternoon I went for a Downeast Flatbottom Jet-powered thrill ride with Capt. Kyle Brown and after looking around for a while we finally found a few Red Drum that were sitting up on a sunken wreck (sunk in the mud) in about a foot of water. I caught 5 Red Drum while Kyle dug Oysters out of the mud. Total Catch for the Day: 5 Red Drum, 4 Largemouth Bass, and 4 Bluegill.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pups. I'm sure those oysters were tasty.

I haven't been shad fishing this year. You can normally catch a few white shad here in Wilson below Wiggins Mill. Another decent place for whites is outside Rocky Mount on Hwy 97 across from the water treatment plant. You don't catch many at either place, but the whites are bigger and put up a good fight.....fine eating roe too.

Kyle told me about your meeting with the prez.....photo sure fooled me ;)

DHowell

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be so sure that Kylie McBrown knows what he's talking about!

Capt Marty said...

I agree. Too much Ambien. Too much Cavier. Too much Douglass. Too much Waldo. Too much Little Reggie. Too much "Mall Santa Claus" in March. All of this has Kyle's head screwed up.