Sunday, June 19, 2011

DIABLO's Final Resting Spot

Since I discovered them in the the mid 1980's Beaufort has had 3 Ponds down in Lennoxville that were legendary producers of Giant Largemouth Bass. Anyone able to access them was able to catch "Bass of a Lifetime" on a consistent basis. Unfortunately, the place was nearly inpenetrable. Thick brush on the shoreline and extensive shallow flats of mud and mats of grass protected tiny pot holes in the grass that were teeming with 8-12 lb Largemouth Bass. These legendary Bass can supposedly leap 6 feet out of the water a snag snag Dragonflys, Redwinged Blackbirds, and Purple Martins from the air! Huge Water Moccasins ruled the shoreline and Giant Eastern Diamondback Rattle Snakes ruled the approaches to the Ponds..... We can deal with all that. However, the ONE THING that stood between you and fishing history was a Giant Pit Bull/Rottweiler mix named Diablo that lived nearby and ruled these woods with his blood curdling bark, his snarl, and his mouth foaming growl. The 50 feet of heavy gauge, rusty chain that drug behind him added to his mystique. I always figured he pulled down the side of a house to escape his bonds.... Legend had it he had survived a few Shotgun blasts and it only made him meaner and stealthier. That Dog made the Legend of the Lennoxville Ponds on par with the legends of  Bigfoot, Sasquatch, The Abomible Snowman and the Loch Ness Monster.... Today, Max and I paid homage to Diablo's final resting place. The fear of my adolescence has been exercised. Maybe I can sleep tonight for the first time since 1985 without being haunted by Diablo. My God, has it been 26 years since I felt his hot breath and rabid slobber on my bare legs as I ran for my life...... and dropped 2 rod and reels and my tacklebox......all the way to Freedom Park! I never looked back and it took 20 years to return....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good story.....I can envision a movie being made outta that.