Saturday, June 4, 2011

June 4 Excellent Top Water Bluefish

I took Korey and Max today for a half day adventure and yesterday's weather changed our plan. Then I had a cast netting catastrophe. Then an hour was wasted catching 2 Menhaden, and one of them disappeared! Now in panic mode, I prayed the "new wave" Bluefish with Phds in Sportfishing Avoidance might save me.... And they did! For some reason, this morning nearly every group we cast a top water plug to responded with reckless abandon. It was like the old days. At one point, I could hear one of my bit off plugs rattling a half mile away. Then came the calvary, and the bite faded. After the good time with the Chopper Bluefish, we went sight casting and found nothing to cast to... Later, we diced a Bluefish for bait and caught a Sharpnose Shark and a Butterfly Ray. The weather was better than yesterday, but tide and current is still horrific and is killing the inshore sight casting fishery. The Cape Lookout Shoals are also evolving into a new form and I despise it... Shark Island is becoming the new Cape Point. Acres and acres of shallow, sandy flats to the west are also killing the Shoals. I must say in decades of fishing Carteret County, I have never seen so much sand! It sucks. Total Catch for the Day: 8 Bluefish from 8-14 lbs, a 60 lb Butterfly Ray, and a Sharpnose Shark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just dropping by to say hello