Tuesday, May 22, 2012

NC Fishing Citations

Reminded of the 17-18 lb Bluefish that recently escaped by the boat, I thought somebody out there might be interested in seeing a list of the NC Saltwater & Freshwater Fishing Citations that I have managed to collect in my fishing career. It all started with a 66 lb Amberjack that at my clark spoon on June 24, 1988....

Salt:
Amberjack, Shark, Barracuda, Crevalle Jack, Tilefish, Sheepshead, Red Drum, Black Drum, Dolphin, Sp Mackerel, King Mackerel, Wahoo, Bluefin Tuna, Sailfish, White Marlin, Blue Marlin, Black Sea Bass, Yellowfin Tuna, Blackfin Tuna, At Bonito, False Albacore, Triggerfish, Porgy, Red Snapper, Grouper, Spot, Sea Mullet, Pompano, Gray Trout, Flounder, Cobia, Striped Bass and Speckled Trout

Fresh:
Largemouth Bass, White Perch, Bowfin, Blue Catfish, Bullhead Catfish, Yellow Perch, Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout, Chain Pickerel, Redfin Pickerel, American Shad, Hickory Shad, Flier, Green Sunfish and Pumpkinseed

What a Nice List..... I can't concentrate on conquering the Freshwater list.... In order to finish off my salty quest, I needed that Bluefish. The minimum weight for Bluefish used to be 17 lbs. I caught quite a few 15 and 16 pounders, but since they lowered the minimum, a 15 pounder is hard to come by... As far a Tarpon goes, I've caught plenty in Florida, but never put in the effort here in NC to catch one. Seems like I would have bumbled into one over the past 25 years, but I never managed to get my hands on one of the few that I did encounter! That leaves 2 tough ones! First, there is Bigeye Tuna and you pretty much have to be in the right place at the right time and get lucky... Off Oregon Inlet.... A couple years ago a boat right beside me pulled it off. Five strikes and Five Bigeyes between 150 and 225 lbs each... While we hooked baby Blackfins...My number never came up. Finally, a 3 lb Croaker in the 21st century off NC is like finding a Unicorn... But I did catch a 2 lb 10 oz Croaker 3 years ago on a jerk bait casting for Puppy Drum.... So who knows... I always promised my beautiful ex-wife Meredith if I ever caught them all, I'd quit fishing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Capt. Marty said...

Anon,

That comment meant alot to me, but I think it was inappropriate in this spot. I understand completely and I forgave you long ago.

Anonymous said...

Damn that bluefish was crucial. Your soap opera fans wouldda loved to read that deleted comment. Ya know

Anonymous said...

We will catch the tarpon. Have faith in me captain. Buggy

Capt. Marty said...

TUGGY or BUGGY