Monday, August 27, 2012

Aug 26 Red Drum Fishing





First of all, I made the journey over to Oriental and got there early enough to fish for an hour off the Rocks at Dawson's Creek. Very interesting. If I lived over there, you would find me on those rocks quite often. Good casting for Red Drum and Flounder! Secondly, we got hammered by rain. Crazy how cold getting drenched by rain can be on a hot August afternoon. As  the skys cleared, I released a Red Drum that I figured was a Stingray right up to the last second. Then Laden released the smallest Drum of the "official trip". Obviously (unfortunately) her "small" Drum was much larger than my "large" Drum off the Rocks. Okay? Didn't want to mislead any one..... After a lull in the action, Capt Tuggy netted 65,000 Menhaden and we left a beautiful ledge off South River and made the run east about 8 miles to the "SPOT". Once we got there and joined the Red Drum Elite Fleet, we found the fishing to be uninspiring, but steady. Our bites came in doubles and they were spaced out every 20-30 minutes. We picked away at them until we were the last boat there and we got a decent number. A few 40 lb Red Drum, while the others were smaller. Makes me miss the good ole days at Cedar Island back in 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, etc etc etc. Red Drum that were consistently in the 60 lb range. My largest at 83 lbs, 59x36 if my memory is correct. Twenty fish nights were the normal, good nights were 40-50 legit, counting every fish.... Ah, maybe next time off...... Total Catch for the Night(and Day): 14 Red Drum up to 42 lbs, 4 Southern Flounder up to 15" and a 15 lb Cownose Ray

6 comments:

The Hook Up Tackle said...

Wow i'm so jealous. that fish is huge!!!

Anonymous said...

Right up there with you on a big one....had a 55 X 35 in 2008. Biggest one I've ever laid eyes on!

Capt. Marty said...

That's a nice one right there. Seems to be hard to find those 60+ pounders here lately. Im not quite as into it as I was 10 years ago. I do hope to go a couple more times. Maybe next week will be one to remember....

Anonymous said...

Capt Marty. There is no salt water in Ohio, Michigan, or Indiana. From the looks of it though i may see, taste, and smell all i want in new Orleans......care to fly with me???? Tugwell

Capt. Marty said...

If I fly with you I want to go to the Great Barrier Reef, I want to dangle from your cord and tease up a Great White Shark with me as your rubber legged popping bug

Anonymous said...

Blahahaha that would be awesome