Sunday, May 1, 2016

May 1- Bonito Frenzy

Capt Ryan's first Bonito of 2016

Ryan and Steven with a double-header. These were hooked up while Capt Marty battled the Mystery Fish
Capt Marty's triumphant return to the Salt was bittersweet. Double Bitter Double Sweet actually. First of all, Capt Ryan of Team Sea Spray invited me on a Cobia hunt and since my boat is still MIA, I decided to go...... Our first stop in the gray light of early morning was on a nice vertical structure in 50 foot of water. In the next hour, we made our day on a real good Atlantic Bonito bite. We landed 5 Bonito that weighed 4-6 pounds each. Sweet.. The ceviche I make here in a little while will be great and that will cover the other Sweet! As for the Bitters, number one is my left knee.... It was a little knotty out there today and the Sea Spray Boat was crowded with 3 guys and a bunch of tackle.... It was tough on my knee. Two hours into the trip I was hurting. I kept my mouth shut because the fishing was good and I wanted to see that first Cobia. Now, 2 hours after getting home, my knee is swollen and Im crippled...Oh hell, what am I going to do..... But, MY BIGGEST PROBLEM...... was at the end of "just another cast" over breaking Bonito west of AR 315. Remember guys, every year on one single day in May, every year since 2010, there has been a school of Blackfin Tuna that has marched up Bogue Banks from west to east. I know this FOR A FACT.... Anyway, I DO NOT think today was THE day. However, on that one cast, I had a strike and figured I had my third Bonito.. Wrong, this was no Bonito. This fish dumped 150 yards of line in a straightaway line burning run. No Bonito that I ever hooked has ever done anything close to that. Then my mystery fish turned and charged offshore. I reeled furiously. As my line sliced the surface across the bow, the hook pulled. Fish gone. Another Trophy Escaped. Capt Marty's slump continues. This one hurt. Mystery Fish, was it a Blackfin Tuna???? Crazy, it acted like a 30 lb King Mackerel. Damn if I know! Maybe it was a 20 lb Bonito? I did not see any Albacore, I dont think it was an Albacore! Dogtooth Tuna? Just kidding, I really haven't a clue what it was.... It struck in a frenzy of Bonito and Bluefish. Unfortunately,  I will never know. Its over and that fish is gone....Dammit. We also caught Bluefish and Black Sea Bass. No Cobia sighted. Total Fish for the Day: 5 Atlantic Bonito from 4-6 lbs, 18 Bluefish up to 2 lbs, and 2 Black Sea Bass

No comments: