Thursday, May 5, 2016

May 5- Cinco de Mayo Parte Dos

Back on shore, with nothing but time on my hands and knowing about many many Bait Balls stacked up east of The Shipping Channel, I called my old "good luck charm" Jeremy up and conspired him into launching his 22 ft Carolina Skiff and going on an afternoon Cobia hunt.....Now Jeremy is both the "World's Greatest" and "World's Worst" Fishermen rolled into one..... Quite simply, he doesn't fish. At age 34 and a life-long Harker's Islander he does not fish..... Since he and I became friend and co-workers, he's been with me 3 times..... Once we did well at the D Wreck with Cudas, AJs, Sharks, and Blues.... The other 2 days is where he shined....... One a day where Jeremy couldn't cast his bucktail 25 feet without slapping someone in the face or breaking off a bucktail, whatever, etc, etc.... He was part of a team of 3 that caught 24 Cobias. The first Cobia Jeremy ever gaffed was my 96 pounder..... We and he, had a great day that ended with a stack of tickets from the NC Marine Fisheries Enforcement and a stack of Citations from NC Marine Fisheries "Good Guys".... On Jeremy's only other rod and reel adventure, he and I "bailed" the 40-60 lb Black Drums over on the Eastside..... Yall get the point! I CALL JEREMY..... I CATCH FISH..... So, Jeremy and I cleared Barden's Inlet and ran west..... We started hitting bait balls looking for Cobia. And then, just as it was looking bleak, I got a mystery bite under a school of Menhaden. After a fair fight and a pretty long run, he actually had me believing for a minutes, and big Scaly Red Cobianot, better known as a Red Drum popped up for a quick release.... Sorry, my old Pal Me-Bob, would've loved to release him in the meat grease with taters and onions and corn dumplings...... After releasing my 45" Red Drum, Jeremy hooked up and quickly released a beautiful 50" Red Drum. I then caught another pair of Drum at 45" and 50"..... We then ran back to the east in a last gasp effort to find a Cobia. Way down off the Cape Lookout Rock Jetty, Jeremy had a nice mystery bite. But, once again, it proved to be a Red Drum. This one was the best fish of the day, 52" and fat as a pig.....  Nice to catch some Trophy Fish even though it isn't what everyone is looking for. We Want. We Need. Cobia. It is the only thing that will satisfy the Masses! Except Capt Marty! All I need/want/desire is a damn Bonito! Total Catch for the Episode: 5 Red Drum from 40-55 lbs each and 4 Bluefish from 2-3 lbs

No comments: