Saturday, August 15, 2009

Aug 15 Bluefish, Red Drum, and More




I really thought I had it figured out today. It was gonna be a "Big Spanish" slaughter! Yeah right. It never happened. The few Bait Balls I found today were all right in the surf and there were no Big Spanish Mackerel around. I had to come up with a new plan so I rode to the East and found lots of interesting things. First I found 1000s of 2-4 pound Bluefish. I caught some on metal and some on live Menhaden. Then I worked on a school of Red Drum that I found on the Shoals. They weren't easy because they lived in a rough neighborhood. I probably rode 10 miles around a spot as big as a Tennis Court, trying to find an opening, checking every angle, a way in that wouldn't wreck the boat. Finally, I got in there and caught 7 Red Drum. I kept a 24" Red Drum and released 6 that were a little larger. Then, and I wish I could show you, I found a 15-20 lb Permit cruising in 3 feet of crystal clear water. All I had up top was a 5" Jerk Shad. It didn't matter that I was in the Tower, because there was nothing any better that I could have casted down below. On my first cast, I got the Permit's attention and he actually followed my bait for app 30 feet. Then the fish stalled and turned on a new heading. For the next 30 minutes I shadowed that fish and made cast after cast. The first cast was the closest I came to catching that Permit. That is the first Permit I have ever seen in the water in NC. I have seen a few that came from the Pound Nets near Ocracoke Inlet. Oh well! I also saw many huge Sand Tigers on the Shoals today. Large ones at 200+ pounds. Lots of Blacktip Sharks as well. I left them alone. Finally, on the way home I stumbled into a Crevalle Jack frenzy right in the surf off Shackleford Banks. This was neat as fish of all sizes were busting on top for about 10 minutes in a stretch of surf probably 100 yards long. I just happened to be looking for schools of Drum in the surf and this melee suddenly surrounded me! In 4 casts, I hooked 4 fish. I broke off a nice one (10+ pounds) while trying to climb down from the Tower with the Jack hooked up and running under the Boat! After that disaster, I then released a 5 pounder, released a 4 pounder, and kept a 3 pounder for Shark Bait. Then it was over. Interesting day! Total Catch for the Day: 7 Red Drum (up to 30"), 15 Bluefish, and 3 Crevalle Jack

No comments: