Sunday, August 30, 2009

Aug 28-31 Flounder, Red Drum, and Largemouth Bass
















Four days of Fishing packed into one report, you guys can probably guess, this ain't going to be a very good report. Monday afternoon's incoming tide adventure was possibly the best session because the slot sized Red Drum showed back up after a short absense. I caught and released 3 Red Drum over 20". The Flounders were still not happening. I ended up with 2 Southern Flounders. These were just as lucky as the Drum because I'm finished cleaning fish for the week. Therefore, 2 keeper Flounders got a new lease on life. I also caught a Black Sea Bass and a Lizardfish. Sunday mid-afternoon Dock fishing produced 3 Southern Flounder between 15" and 17". Nearly identical to Saturday's catch. I guess that's the way it's gonna be until we can get that Finger Muller Run cranked up! Saturday morning I went and checked out my one of my old Freshwater spots in Beaufort. I hadn't been Pond fishing since July 8th and I figured it would be a nice change. What about the Bass? They were still there, they were still hungry, and they still rose to a popping bug. In less than an hour, I caught 4 Largemouth Bass, I got a dozen more looks, and I missed about 10 Bream bites. The larger Popping Bugs that I bought at a Fly Shop in Chapel Hill (Can't remember the Name!) were awesome for raising Bass, but they were a little too big for the Bream to suck in. Tossing the Fly for the first time nearly 2 months was cool....Later in the afternoon I did what I do every afternoon, I tossed a Finger Mullet around the Dock for about an hour and caught 3 Southern Flounders that were all keepers. These Flounder ranged from 15" to 18". Also, Friday I caught 2 Southern Flounders around the Dock. One was a 17" keeper and one was borderline and I tossed him back. Is the Flounder Fishing in Taylor's Creek picking up? It's hard to say, I'd expect to catch 7-8 keeper fish per tide right now. In the past, I would be catching 20" Flounder on a daily basis and I should've had a couple of Citation Flounder by now. After all, it is late August! I know other fishermen have had a decent Flounder year and I haven't targetted them one single time from my Boat! Back from 2002 until 2006, I Flounder Fished on the Art Reefs nearly every day! As far as Taylor's Creek goes, it just ain't happening, it does seem to be improving slowly though. Of course, It's nearly time for me to go back to Hatteras. Total Catch for this Report: 10 Southern Flounder, 3 Red Drum, 1 Black Sea Bass, 2 Inshore Lizardfish, and 4 Largemouth Bass

No comments: