Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Aug 24 Ladyfish and Stingrays


Just got home from Hatteras and the tide was right, the calender is right, and I wasn't sleepy, so it was "Dock Time". It was interestingly miserable. I think the giggers are having a little impact on the Taylor's Creek Red Drum and Flounder populations this summer. Fishing for them sucked. However, something else was going on out there in the darkness! Too Bad Clifford and I figured it out a little too slow. It was a school of Ladyfish that was working the Creek over. I did manage to land one and lose two. Clifford probably lost two. The Ladyfish I caught was a nice one at 3 pounds. We weren't rigged properly (Carolina Rigs) and at midnight after being up since 4am, I ain't much on re-rigging. The biggest problem were the Stingrays and Butterfly Rays that were hammering us! They got a sick habit of running figure 8's under the docks and wrapping you up on multiple pilings. I ruined $30 worth of PowerPro in about 5 minutes. I also caught one Flounder. Tonight I am going down there rigged for Ladyfish. That only means one thing, the Drum and the Flounders will be hungry tonight. A fisherman's dilemma! Total Catch for the Night: 1 Ladyfish, 1 Southern Flounder, 1 Spiny Butterfly Ray, and 2 Southern Stingrays

No comments: