Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sept 10 Cubera Snapper Fishing off Key Largo







Always looking for a new challenge, I decided to try something new on Sept 10. This plan carried me 900 miles from home. I went Cubera Snapper Fishing. Unfortunately, I didn't get my hands on a Cubera Snapper. However, I did get a hook in one and what an amazing show of brute strength! Too bad my luck gave out and my fish made it into structure and broke me off. I usually don't dwell on a lost fish, but I need to spend a minute on this one! This fish ate a live Lobster, 220 feet deep, on 100# braid, with 25 lbs of drag, a long ways from the wreck, and he flat out smoked a 50 wide and made it back to structure. I was praying for a 50 pounder and it sure seemed like I found an 80+ pounder instead. The guys fishing Cubera Snappers off Key Largo burned up the 20-50 pounders 2 weeks ago, but since then everybody has had slow fishing. But the few bites have resulted mostly in big tales of Giant Snappers that broke off! Add me to that list. After that we had 1 mystery bite ate a live Blue Runner and pulled the hooks. Cubera? Who knows. We also got a Barracuda and my first ever Horse-Eye Jack on the Cubera spot. So, in 5 hours of drifting live Lobsters and Blue Runners on the best Cubera Snapper location on the US East Coast during prime season, I got one sure bite and one mystery bite and lost them both! Before dark, we fished for Yellowtail Snapper with some success. It was a struggle because there was absolutely no current. There were a few other things around that made fishing interesting. Catching bait was a blast. We caught lots of Blue Runners off an old wreck inside Biscayne Bay and we also nabbed 15 Spiny Lobsters off the patch reefs in 20 feet of water. Total Catch for the Day: 20 Yellowtail Snapper, 1 Cero Mackerel, 1 Red Hind, 1 Horse-Eye Jack, 1 Barracuda, 15 Blue Runner, and 15 Spiny Lobsters ***Those 11 Lobster Tails in the picture were meant to be Snapper Bait but they sure will be good***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice!! How did you get those lobsters....I assume you do some scuba diving as well. Is there anything water wise that you don't do including even sailboating? I have yet to meet you but there's no doubt you love the water.

DHowell

Capt. Marty said...

We were drifting over a patch reef in 20 feet of water. Just outside Caesar Creek, which is the southern most Inlet into Biscayne Bay from the Ocean. I think? The Lobsters were caught while snorkeling. You could see there antennae sticking out from under the rocks from the surface. Dive down and grab them. In reality, I had a LOT of help. Actually, I spent most of my time catching Yellowtail Snappers and trying to catch Bar Jacks and Cero Mackerels.