Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sept 26 Good Mackerel Fishing







The weather forecast was horrible. The actual weather wasn't that bad. My party cancelled. So I went fishing. The past 3 years, that scenario has usually meant a good day for me, today was no exception. Here's how it all played out.....Since I was already in the boat this morning when my anglers bailed out, I rode out to Beaufort Inlet to look around. Things looked bleak and I almost headed back home. Over off Ft Macon a flash of silver caught my eye. A Spanish Mackerel jumping. I headed that way and found the best "Spanish Mackerel" casting of the year. Some of these Spanish Mackerel were well over 2 pounds. There were a few Bluefish mixed in. I caught a few Bluefish and dropped them in the live well, just in case. The Mackerel were busting in tiny fry west of the Inlet, but the best fishing was west of the Ft Macon rocks. Here the bigger class of Mackerel were terrorizing schools of finger mullet right off the surf. The casting action was excellent. After I boxed a dozen and turned about 10 loose, I was ready to go home. The wind was howling and I was all bloody and wet. But something told me to run east. Take my 7 live Bluefish and let them swim while the wind blows me back to Beaufort Inlet. So I ran nearly all the way to Cape Lookout, knocked the boat out of gear, and tossed 3 Bluefish out on King Rigs. The first strike didn't take long. A foul hooked 18 lb King Mackerel that put up a long battle. Ten minutes later a nice King Mackerel skied on another Bluefish. This one swam up right beside the boat. I couldn't understand how I was about to land this fish so quick if I saw that larger King jump. Then my fish ran off at a right angle away from me, changed directions, crossed the stern with my line ripping the water apart, and then he smoked 200 yards directly offshore. That's more like it. A short while later I gaff a 28 lb King Mackerel. All the Spanish Mackerel I wanted and 2 nice Kings and it aint even 10am yet. Hope my boys read this. I ended up running inshore and catching a few dozen Menhaden and kept fishing. Looking for a 40 pound King to fill out my limit. I had 5 more stikes and released 3 King Mackerel in the lower to mid twentys. I missed 2 strikes and never got my big one. That's alright, I gave away 24 Spanish Mackerel fillets and hopefully I'll cut a deal for some smoked King Mackerel. Plus, I got to go fishing on a crappy day when the fish were chewing! Total Catch for the Day: 5 King Mackerel up to 28 pounds, 22 Spanish Mackerel and 7 Bluefish ***1465 Total Fish in 2009***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell those schools to stay there until at least Monday afternoon.

Capt. Marty said...

The amount of Bait stacked below the Cape is staggering. No way the Mackerel can't be around. SW winds 9-12 becoming 17 in the afternoon. Mid 80's. Bikini weather and bumpy seas (bounce bounce), with some blowing sea water spray at 74 degrees (perfect special effects). Looks like a Grand Slam for the Captain. Hopefully plenty of Spanish and enough King bites to keep things interesting.