Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sept 28 Tough Fishing in Rough Conditions

I knew there was a Front coming. I thought we could beat the weather and catch a couple of nice Kings. I've never been wronger. Is that a word? The day started out okay; even though when we first left Taylor's Creek and turned to the south at Lennoxville Point, I knew we were in trouble. By the time we got to Beaufort Inlet, we faced a stiff SW wind, whitecaps everywhere, and dirty brown water. First place we went was the Shackleford side of the Inlet, where right in the rip, we caught about 8 Bluefish on metal. I figured it was little too rough (Ha Ha) so we moved on. We ran towards Cape Lookout, with the wind at our backs and bait was everywhere. I stopped and made 1 throw with the cast net and Brent and I hauled 25 dozen menhaden into the Boat. Great. ....We should've quit right then. Four hours later, we had 2 strikes. Jay caught and released a 4 lb Bluefish and we lost a 50 lb Blacktip Shark after the third jump. It was a great flurry of action losing that Shark. Then we looked around and 7 foot swells were tossing us like a toy and the SW wind was howling 25+ kts. We ran back towards Beaufort Inlet and took 1000 waves that sent walls of water across the boat. Jay hid behind me. Brent and I got soaked. It was a disaster. Back in the Inlet to save the day on Bluefish. But, no Bluefish on their Shoal and 4 foot breakers there anyway. Finally, we headed back to Taylor's Creek where we caught and released a hand full of bottom fish. Amazingly, Jay had a blast , but Brent and I had......we expected a little more! Can't quite qualify for the worst day of the year! Total Catch for the Day: 9 Bluefish up to 4 pounds, 8 Spot, 3 Black Sea Bass, 3 Pinfish and 2 Hogfish

2 comments:

Capt. Marty said...

Jay's ingrown toe nail didn't make the editor's cut........

Anonymous said...

Sorry about that, we'll have better luck next time.