Sunday, January 17, 2010

2009 Fishing Season Highlights part 1
















The 2009 Fishing Year was a very strange one for me. As usual, I constantly had to cancel trips due to high winds or endure long, hard days of improvising because of the wind. Catching quality fish is always a challenge in those conditions. We also experienced 3 monster rains in summer and fall that changed the fishing. Finally, I also lost about 6 weeks of fishing in the peak summer charter season when I was back and forth to Chapel Hill with a family medical issue. On the positive side, I spent more time freshwater fishing this year than I have in 25 years. I also started fly fishing again. Something I hadn't done in years. My fly rod highlights included a 7 pound Largemouth Bass (on the 3 wt) and a 39 pound Red Drum (on the 7wt). Sweet! As far as my normal fishing year went, I saw more Cobia than ever before and found out that they aren't as stupid as I always thought! More Red Drum were caught on my Boat than ever before, mostly by sight casting with light tackle to massive schools. Albacore Fishing was the best in years. Bluefishing in the Spring was awesome with lots of sight casting to 7-12 pound fish. Sheepsheads were once a mythical fish to me, now they represent the easiest NC Citation out there. I have caught 29 Citation Sheepheads with very little effort the past 2 summers! And finally, the Highlight of the Year was Chris Chadwick's new NC State Record Spadefish that was caught on my boat back in June. One of probably 10 State Record sized Spadefish that we caught. 3015 Total Fish and 51 NC Citation Fish Caught

No comments: