Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Jan 6-12 Hatteras Red Drum and Speckled Trout


I am happy to report that there was a very nice Speckled Trout bite in the surf on the morning of Jan 6th at Hatteras. Lots of 3-6 pounders and a few larger. At least these Trout will "have to be caught" and will not simply freeze to death like their Carteret County cousins. Red Drum fishing has been good and was getting better with each passing day. I have been pretty focused on other things this week at Hatteras. I did find the time to catch a 7 lb 8 oz Speckled Trout before I left the OBX on the 12th. This Speckled Trout was foul hooked on a mirrorlure. Earlier in the week I managed to lose a nice Red Drum after a short tussle. I managed to miss the best fishing days. Also, what a great picture of a beautiful fish, DUH! BTW, this report was started on Jan 6th and last editted on Jan 13th. Total Catch for the Week: 1 Speckled Trout

2 comments:

Vic said...

Hey Capt. -

Did you get in on that action? Were the dory guys scoping things out or are you just speculating? If the fish were widespread up and down the beach, there may be hope. If they were in one or two holes, then real susceptible.

Anonymous said...

The dory guys didn't do that good. A couple of baskets. There a plenty of sloughs up here that have fish in them. On the 7th, I fished another location and even thought I only pulled off 1 fish, there were several nice Drum and a ncouple of 5 pound Speckled Trout caught. Competition in the surf is fierce! Probably 25 guys casting in one small area.

Capt Marty