Wednesday, March 9, 2011

March 8 Shad Fishing

Chris and I broke me out of my slump with a day of Shad fishing on the Neuse River. The Fishing wasn't great, but it should be improving every day. Between the two of us, we caught 30 Hickory Shad in about 3 hours of fishing. We fishing in the vicinity of Pitch Kettle Creek, the scene of many great memories for Chris and I. Every stretch of shoreline brought about stories and laughter! We needed the Rouser with us bad!! The 5 lb Shad he lost off the rocks at Pitch Kettle Outpost is a Fish of LEGEND now! The day Linwood removed Chris and I off his property will also NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. As the years have passed, we can't recall if he was reaching for a pen and notepad to write down our license plate number OR if he was reaching for a PISTOL to make a statement to all trespassing, no good for nothing, freeloading Shad Fishermen...... Anyway, the highlight of our day was the 2 lb 4 oz American Shad that I caught. American Shad are more commonly known as White Shad are very good to eat. The Sanitary Restaurant in MHC sells a ton of them every Spring. Everyone should try it...........We also spent a couple of hours soaking cut bait on the bottom. We only had one bite and I pulled the hook on a 10 lb Bowfin right at the boat. No Catfish. Our Catfish program needs some work, for sure. For our efforts, I got about 10 roe Shad and one nice "eating" Shad. I'm out the door with a fillet knive right now.... Total Catch for the Day: 30 Hickory Shad and 1 American Shad

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

eat mo shad

Anonymous said...

Hey, you guys did make me laugh as hard as I have in a long time. Come on back now, ya hear!!!!

Tuggy

Capt. Marty said...

Me and Columbo are going back early Friday morning. We got a bunch of new anchors. Looks like more wind on the Tuna grounds, as usual. We're going Shadding instead. I like it. We are gonna catch a Catfish one of these days!!!

Mike said...

About time we got some fish pictures

Capt. Marty said...

For real Dude, Feb-Mar sucks for the center console guys.... Cold and Wet is a bad thing........

Anonymous said...

Dang man, well I gotta work, but pull right up where my boat was and you will be in high cotton.

Take Care,
Tuggy

Anonymous said...

is there anywhere that Tuggy don't show up?