Friday, March 18, 2011

March 18 Bluefin Tuna Chewing




After watching my boat sit on it's trailer up here for a month and not fishing for various reasons. Weather, cancellations, bad timing, etc. Yesterday I pretty much made my mind up to go Bluefin Tuna Fishing. The night before fishing, the bad news started coming in.... First the weather forecast that was 10-15 SW added in "becoming 15-20 SW in the afternoon.... Then I got the fishing reports from Thursday. More bad news, the 25 mile run from Hatteras had become a 60 mile run from Hatteras. Oh Jeez. Then I recruited Tuggy, who is pretty damn fearless and a Rescue Swimmer, and we made the decision to pull the boat to Oregon Inlet. We carved about 20 miles off the run that way, but we put the SW on the side of the boat, all the way out there and all the way back. That was brutal. On the way home we made 14 knots and we literally took TEN THOUSAND solid walls of 45 degree Ocean spray straight across the boat from left to right. Right in our faces, for nearly 3 hours. It was was a nightmare of EPIC PORPORTIONS that can be easily fixed with a $1000 set of curtains. Oh well, too late now.... On to the Fishing and it was great! Here's the story as best I can remember it.... Soon after setting out 4 lines, we lost our first Bluefin Tuna after a vicious surface strike and smoking 600 yards of line and the 130# dacron buried in the spool as Tuggy tried to move to the bow of the boat (in 4-6 foot swells). I was trying to clear 3 other lines and drive the boat in horrible conditions. The line popped like a 22 rifle shot and Tuggy was sent sprawling 10 feet backwards and laid out with  a seperated shoulder. One rod was permanantly crippled and out of the action. As we evaluated the injury and what had transpired, another Bluefin Tuna rolled up and swallowed the only bait that I hadn't cleared. After dumping a 50 wide, I felt the ping as something broke. After recovering 500 yards of line we discovered a broken crimp. The score at this point was Bluefin Tuna 2 and Top Water Charters 0. From that point on, we never put out more than 2 lines. We never went more than 10 minutes without a strike. Next came a 10+ foot long, 500+ pound Hammerhead Shark that Tuggy released after a hour long slugfest with 40 lbs of drag on the reel. Following that, Tuggy announced "he was done". Setting out 2 lines, the wait for a strike was very short. I took the next strike and everything ran smooth this time and an hour later I had this fish close and it battle was nearly over when another catastrophe struck. The engine shut down with an overheat alarm. I quickly passed Tuggy the rod (okay I lied, I was done too!) while I reset and refired the engine. Minutes later I had the leader and we each struck with a gaff and we had a 190 lb Bluefin Tuna on the deck. With the pressure off and 2 lines back quickly in the water, we didn't troll too far before we had another savage strike. Unfortunately, I popped the leader on another big BluefinTuna. With so much action, we failed to notice the rising wind that would make our lives so miserable very shortly! With Tuggy recovered from battle and big slicks appearing everywhere and pods of Pilot Whales and Common Dolphins all around the boat, Tuggy decided he was game for another fight. We had another quick strike and for the next 68 minutes he battled a Bluefin Tuna that we released (ouch) at 75+ inches and around 280 pounds. Finally, with one line left in the water and another big slick behind us, we had a strike that Tuggy and I double teamed and released another Bluefin Tuna in the 280 pound class. All the great times were soon forgotten as we started all long, cold, wet ride home. Eventually we made it to the Inlet and all ended well and it was the longest day of my life. We really had no business out there 45 miles offshore, in 6 foot seas and blowing spray, fighting immensely powerful fish in 6000 foot of water, with a harness on attaching you to a life and death struggle with a fish (and the man). I say this because every fish ran into the wind and the seas, so as an angler we ended up on the bow, recovering line, as the bow rose and dropped 4-6 feet, and we both stumbled and fell and held on and reeled. It would have made a great reality show. Trust me, you had to be there. I'm sure Tuggy will comment soon!  But we survived. Total Catch for the Day: 3 Bluefin Tuna up to 280 pounds and a 500+ pound Hammerhead Shark

18 comments:

ehirunner said...

Yes. Yes, they are. How's the weather lookin'?

Capt. Marty said...

Not so great right now and things have changed a little. 25 miles off Hatteras has become 45 miles off Oregon Inlet. We went and 15-20 SW wind was absolutely brutal and dangerous. And I learned if they are gonna be in 100 to 1000 fathoms lots of my electronics and tackle are useless. Hope that sashimi is good because we got punished for 160 minutes for our 40 mile ride home. Can't t do that again. Ever......

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm hurting so freaking bad, and don't contact me for another 6 days!!!!

You wanna go tom?
Tuggy

ehirunner said...

woot, woot. jealous.

Capt. Marty said...

Somebody said "it doesn't look that rough". Well, I aint got many pictures either. 99% of the time, it was too rough and too wet to even pull the camera out. As good as I love a fish picture, wouldn't it seem I'd been "all over" that Hammerhead Shark and those Tunas. Not to mention the Pilot Whales and Common Dolphins. Those were the first Common Dolphins I'd ever seen. Google Common Dolphin, beautiful things.... All the Tuna pictures except one were actually taken 20 miles in, in the cold green water where the seas were 2 feet less and the wind was 10 kts less. We could sit in relative peace.

Anonymous said...

Y'all mofos are crazier than the honey badger. Youtube search-- Nasty ass Honey Badger

Anonymous said...

Capt Marty, I have been laid up in bed all freaking day, and I have been in some pretty sick ass training for swimming and stuff, but yesterday honestly kicked my ass. It will have to say variable 10 knots or less, just for me to even consider the gulf stream again in march!!!!! I gotta work tonight, sore, cannot move my left arm, nor can i look to the right without an intense pain!!!! Gotta really take advantage of the pretty days, cause yesterday was TERRIBLE!

Tug

Capt. Marty said...

Tuggy

All things considered, we kicked ass. Ive devoured 12 extra strength excedrin since I got back to Hatteras. BTW, the Sashimi is unreal. I got to clean the boat tonight. I dread climbing into it. There is salt in places that didnt even exist before that ride home. I figured a wave every 2 seconds at 14 knots.... For nearly 3 hours. Do the math. Sorry about the Vienna Sausages. Shad in the River. Forget the Ocean. Bring on the Cobia!!!!

Ryan said...

F'n sweet

Anonymous said...

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ship was tossed.
If not for the courage of the mighty crew,
The Minnow would be lost.

We want Bikini Girl and the Deserted Island

JD Dallas said...

That fishing report is legendary ! Y'all are going to have to get a wagon to pull behind you to carry your balls in LOL

Capt. Marty said...

I think the crew was fearless, not mighty.... I loved Gilligan's Island. Bikini Girl would've definitely caused lots of troubles for the castaways, but at least one of them would've beeen happy to be there for a "long long time".... Still eating sashimi. Starting to feel like a 250 lb Mako Shark. Feels good... How bout you, Tugwell?

Anonymous said...

Marty, I have since recovered from what was a fishing trip I will never forget! I'm almost to the point where I want to call you my friend again!!!! I have been in a zodiac in hitting rocks, waves, and 39 degree water and not been as beat as I was on friday, but what a freaking rush!!!! lets go tommorrow. SW 20-30 knots!!!!

Wanna Shad fishing on wed?

Tuggy

Capt. Marty said...

Yeah, I'm game for a Shad trip. Leaving the boat at Hatteras one more week. Got another night shift and the Pus Monster is on my crew so he'll be going to. Yellowfin Fishing inside of 30 miles, light and variable winds, 75 degrees air temp. Let's go.

Capt. Marty said...

JD Dallas,

Give me a shout in May. We'll go kill a Cobia! Nice to hear from you

Capt. Marty said...

ehirunner,

The boat is still sittin at Hatteras. Let me know if you get a window of opportunity. Not sure what the Bluefins are doing. Look at the satellite shot I posted, looks like a perfect scenario for them to swim due east. Beyond my range! Who knows, they' re fish! Yellowfins and Blackfins may be more reliable from here on out for my center console. Not sure if that interests you??? Anyway, I wish you'd been on the boat the other day. Believe me, you would've got your Tuna, and a couple thousand gallons of saltwater in your face!!!

zius said...

dang Marty- you the man

zius

Capt. Marty said...

Zius? As in Pickzius? As in Randy Pickzius? As in long lost best friend Randy Pickzius of G- boro, WCU to ECU to Social Security Adm. That Zius?