Saturday, November 26, 2011

Nov 26 Squid on the Fly Rod



This was a fishing session spawned out of pure boredom and insomnia. Unable to sleep, I basically did what I been doing since 1970 when my Dad had to drag me off the Morehead Ocean Pier every Sunday Afternoon........ I went fishing!  And since Squid are different, challenging, plentiful, and tasty right now, we can say I went Squid fishing. For a new twist, I broke out the 3wt Fly Rod. It didn't take long! Unfortunately, with 1 point, as opposed to 10-14 points on a squid jig, I pulled off 75% of my strikes. Regardless of the difficulty in landing them, I did proudly catch my first Squid on a fly rod. Whether they were landed or not, each strike resulted in a nice battle because the Squid were reluctant to let go of the fly. I actually had several violent surface strikes with healthy splashes of water and lots of black ink spraying. I also managed another big pile of Squid. For variety, little Bluefish were also crashing the fly with reckless abandon. I also played around with a squid jig and managed another first, 2 Squid at the same time on one jig! It was 2 hours of fun on a very dark, beautiful night, with lots of falling stars.  Total Catch for the Late Night/Early Morning Session: 14 Squid up to 17" and 6 Bluefish