Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Nov 9-10 Squid Jigging



Life was so good when I put my boat up, packed my bags, said my goodbyes to my Parents and my lovely Girlfriend, jumped in my old fishing truck and drove to Hatteras. Two days later, I'm sad and lonely and ready to go home. But, this is a Fishing Blog, so here's my fishing report.... Casting mirrorlures in the surf has been a waste of time so far. Huge swell from a distant low pressure system is really screwing up the Hatteras Island surf. So I'm now focusing on the docks and under the lights. The first night has been really slow but I just caught a beautiful Squid on a squid jig. Adding weirdness to this bizarre report, I also caught an Oyster Toadfish and a Bluefish, both on the squid jig............ The second night is really interesting. The Squid are biting. So far, I've managed to land 8 Squid on the squid jig. The interesting thing is, I have lost 6 more than were much larger. I've never had a problem landing Squid. Tonight's different. I pulled off 4 that I couldn't pull off the bottom.The other 2 were huge Squid that actually popped the 10# mono. One I had on the surface, hooked by his whips, and I actually trried to lift him and his body stretched out (whips included) 4 feet long. The Squid jetted one last time, soaked me 7 feet away with black ink, and popped the line! Unreal. This damn Squid was at least 8 lbs... I have since switched to 20# test mono, but the wind has shifted and picked up to 25 kts, with cold rain. I fear that it's over.... Oh well, calamari tommorrow...Total Catch for the 2 Nights: 9 Loligo Squid up to 14", 1 Oyster Toadfish, and 1 Bluefish  

13 comments:

Bob B said...

Quit your whinning, glad u r alive, stop going fishing without me and call me

Capt. Marty said...

Bob B go catch some Trout, it will take away the pain

Mike said...

Gonna eat the squid?

Capt. Marty said...

Eat the Squid.....Hell yeah! Columbo's Speckled Trout yesterday. My Squid Tommorrow. Robin's Flounder Saturday. Life is Good. Nothing like Calamari cooked the day after being caught. It is not even the same thing sold in most restaurants... And I'm a big calamari fan...

Capt. Marty said...

Eat the Squid.....Hell yeah! Columbo's Speckled Trout yesterday. My Squid Tommorrow. Robin's Flounder Saturday. Life is Good. Nothing like Calamari cooked the day after being caught. It is not even the same thing sold in most restaurants... And I'm a big calamari fan...

Anonymous said...

Bob B equals Salt

Chris said...

So do these squid fight at all? Are they worth anything as sportfish? Or just snack?

Capt. Marty said...

Great fighters. Back and Forth. Jet and Induction. Ink

Capt. Marty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Capt. Marty said...

Great fighters. Back and Forth. Jet and Induction. Ink

Anonymous said...

Marty, is it worth trying to jig for squid anywhere around Beaufort? Also, are they migratory or around all year? I'd love to give it a try.

Capt. Marty said...

I've never seen enough large Squid around Beaufort Inlet to make it worth the effort. Nothing to compare to the quantities I see around lighted docks near Hatteras Inlet or that I used to see around the Ocean Pier Lights on the Outer Banks. For all the many nights I spent on The Morehead Ocean Pier and The Iron Steamer Pier in the mid 70s and early 80s, I never remembered Squid around those lights. All the nights I spent Ribbonfishing in the late 90s and early 2000s, I never saw many large Squid. Nothing like I've caught in the vicinity of Hatteras Inlet the past 4 winter. My best night was 160 Squid and that was on a mirrorlure. Thats a big number, I dont care what you are catching! That was a 4 hour blitz.

Anonymous said...

We want to see Robin not a damn Squid. Why did you take her picture off the page