Saturday, August 30, 2008

Aug 30 FISH EVERYWHERE


Today was a very fishy day! I would like to say that we had a great day, BUT.....We did catch lots of fish, but two particular species left us completely baffled. Flounder and Spanish Mackerel. In my opinion, the Flounder fishing on the nearshore ARs out of MHC has sucked the last 2 years. From 2002 to 2006 I could catch 10 fish over 20" any day from June until November. Last year was terrible. This year I really haven't tried. Today we did, with good bait, and all we got was Black Sea Bass and Lizardfish. As far as the Spanish Mackerel go, we had 12 bites from big Spanish on live bait and for a myriad of reasons, we lost every single fish. Pulled hooks, bite off the swivel, they even bit off the blood knot at my shock leader connection. Plenty of guys were catching 3-5 pound Spanish Mackerel, but we were not among them! We eventually made our way to the east where we did find the biggest concentration of Bluefish that I've seen in 5 years. Amazing numbers. We caught app 25 from 1-3 pounds. We also found a small school of Red Drum and Gerald caught a 5 pounder. We saw hundreds of Sharks up to 100 pounds cruising the shallow water. The final blow was a nice Pompano that I hooked from the tower. I passed the rod down to Gerald and started to climb down for the net and the hook pulled. Our Citation Pompano in the 4 lb. class was gone. Par for the course on this day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know what you're doing?

Capt. Marty said...

Not always!