Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fishing Goals, Priorities, and Gas Prices




A couple of people have asked this question: "Why does the text on your website spend so much time talking about types of fishing that, according to your fishing reports, you never even do?" Good question. Here's my answer. First, most of that text is 5 or 6 years old and fishing changes and my preferences change. Second, as a Fishing Guide, I take people out and do the things they want to do or the things I think we will be most successful at. Third, and most importantly, because as I have gotten older and spent more days on the water, my goals and interests have shifted. When I was young, I fished inshore because that was all I could do. Through the mid-90s to 2001, I fished as many as 12 King Mackerel Tournaments per year. I fished for King Mackerel probably 50-75 days a year. From the late 80's until around 2001, I went Offshore Trolling every possible chance I got when King Mackerel Tournaments didn't create a conflict. Finally, I worked on a Headboat in 1990 and 1991 and also fished commercially for Grouper off and on through the 90's and until around 2005 I still spent 10-25 days a year Grouper Fishing. Somewhere during all of this King Mackerel, Offshore Trolling, and Grouper Fishing, I really started missing the Inshore Fishing again and that is now my primary focus. Plus, how can I not say the price of GAS is also a big factor! All that being said, I do miss the King Mackerel and Grouper Fishing and hope that I get more chances to fish for them during the fall of 2008! By the way, the first picture is a 35 pound Gag Grouper that I caught in Feb. of 1991 with Capt. Pizza Kannon in the background. The second picture is a 46 pound King Mackerel, my largest of an 18 fish catch that weighed over 500 pounds in Nov. of 2000.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As long as you put fish on the dock, no explanantions needed here. Keep it up.

Capt. Marty said...

After today's big catch of Preacher's Pricks (local name for Lizardfish) I might need to do a little explaining. Where are the Flounder and Drum.