Thursday, August 7, 2008

Aug 7 A Dead Fish and a Dead Dream

The traffic finally showed up at Hatteras Inlet and we've been too busy to fish. I have found time to make a couple of nice hauls with my cast net. Jumping Mullets and Squids have been the big catches so far. On a sad note, I hate to report that I have killed an app. 15 pound Sheepshead. MY 15 POUND SHEEPSHEAD!! After breaking him off on July 13th and 25th, I never encountered him again. Then on August 5th I noticed a monster Sheepshead that was dead and floating near a pair of pilings near South Dock. The dead Sheepshead was "surfing" in the hard running tide, obviously attached by some means about 15 feet from one of the pilings. I jumped on a Dredge Tender and went to investigate and there he was, Mr. Big, dead as a doornail with 2 hooks in his mouth and a 40 foot shot of PowerPro wrapped up in a piling. Too far gone to bring in, I did measure him at 30". By the 7th he was gone to the crabs. A cruel twist of fate for me and the Sheephead and a great revenge for the crabs!

No comments: