Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June 10 Cobias and Triggers











First up, an insane school of Triggerfish has devoured 3 acres of State Record Spadefish on the Hesperides. Seriously, Spadefish numbers on this wreck are down probably 90% from last week. Today we didn't even try to catch a Spadefish, but David and I caught 18 Triggerfish in 10 minutes. No bottom rigs needed, these Triggerfish were on top and we bailed them like Dolphin. Before we left I even caught one on a Top Water Plug. These Triggerfish were the most aggressive school of fish I've ever encountered. I'd rather take my chances with a Great White Shark than swim with these little monsters. This wreck would be a good place to "lose" somebody! More importantly, Sight Casting for Cobia was outstanding today on Diamond Shoals. From 8am until 9am we saw probably 15 Cobias and 10 of them were 50-70 pounders. Five sets of big doubles! Unfortunately, these fish were not biting. It was the most incredibly fustrating fishing event of the season so far. There were 3 boats up there this morning and the bucktails were flying......And the fish weren't biting. Finally, the other 2 boats hooked up, we were out of position, and it was over! So David and I left in search of other Cobias in other places. Here's what we found. First David got a 32" release on the Outer Shoals. Then I got a 36 pounder out of a school of 5000 Amberjacks that pushed his way to the front and ate a huge Top Water Plug. Then I got a 33 pounder on a Bucktail deep jigged at the base of Diamond Shoals Tower. Then I got a 33" release off a Stingray's back up near Cape Point. Right after that, David got a 34 pounder of the same Stingray. Finally, I tossed back a 35" Cobia that I felt sorry for right in the middle of Hatteras Inlet. We caught 6 out of 20+ Cobias and we saw lots of big ones. Total Catch for the Day: 6 Cobias (33, 34, and 36 pounds) and 18 Gray Triggerfish

No comments: