Monday, June 22, 2009

June 22 Bluegill Frenzy
















I decided that yesterday was so much fun, that I'd do the same thing today. A few years back, I can not imagine trading a day of King Mackerel and Sharks for a day of Bream fishing. My fishing evolution is running in reverse. Today I fished 6 different Ponds in Beaufort and Morehead City and pretty much found great fishing for Bream everywhere and not-so-good Bass fishing. I think the Bass fishing could've been much better, but remember that when I'm freshwater fishing nowadays, I am an amatuer Fly Fisherman. So it was all Popping Bugs and the Big Frog today on the Fly Rod. In one spot this morning the fishing was so good that I caught 12 Bluegill without ever having to move my feet. All together, this tiny Pond resulted in 25 Bluegill and 3 Largemouth Bass. I caught a few other fish in another spot and then moved to a MHC shopping area and hit 4 additional Ponds. I was looking for a big Bass here but struck out on the Big Frog. Once I started back up with the Bug the fishing took off again and lots of Bream were caught. Lots. One Pond in particular seemed to have a never ending supply of small Bluegill and a few small Largemouth Bass. Numbers were as crazy as the average size was small. I did catch a few that were decent, but overall it was a numbers day. I also managed to catch a trophy today, a 9" Green Sunfish that came as a total suprize from a small pond at the MHC Shopping Compound! Total Catch for the Day: 6 Largemouth Bass, 50 Bluegill, 3 Pumpkinseed, 1 Green Sunfish, and 1 Green Sunfish X Bluegill Hybrid (all on Fly Tackle)

No comments: