Wednesday, June 3, 2009

June 2 Bad Move


I had to try Ocracoke today. It was on the way home and there have been lots of Cobia caught just offshore of Ocracoke Inlet this year. Not today though. While me and 4 other boats searched the tide lines off Ocracoke, everybody else was smoking the Cobias at Hatteras (where I left) and Beaufort Inlet (where I was headed). Bad move on my part. Ocracoke Inlet was rough and the water was dirty. Grass was everywhere. BJ caught a baby Hammerhead Shark on a bucktail right out of the Inlet. That was all we saw in 4 hours. Total Catch for the Day: 1 Hammerhead Shark

3 comments:

Will Rees Fine Wood Working said...

Finally, i found out the puffer i caught was an oceanic pufferfish pretty uncommon for inshore. Now i have another strange creature sighting. i posted pics on my blog post titled "inlet camping" Its a squid like flying sea cucumber spotted in a shallow creek. Any ideas?

Capt. Marty said...

Some tpes of Sea Slugs (Nudibranchs)have the ability to swim by contorting their bodies awkwardly back and forth. The first one I ever saw was a pink one over at South Dock near Hatteras Inlet. We called it a swimming vagi---, female reproductive part. Then we saw another one at Hatteras. This one was mottled brown and white. Not nearly as pretty as the pink one, but I was interested enough to research it. On June 2 I saw a tiny one swimming in Silver Lake at Ocracoke across a shallow flat right at Smacknally's. They must be pretty common. Do a Google Search on Swimming Nudibranchs. You might find your creature, either way you will be entertained for a couple of minutes.

Will Rees Fine Wood Working said...

yeah, i think that smooth golden puffer has a closer resemblane to what i saw than the oceanic puffer. weird fish either way. I Can't find any nudibranchs that swim as gracefully as the slug i saw but it is definately some type of slug.