Saturday, June 6, 2009

June 5 Bouy Fish in the Wind




It was blowing 15-20 SW today and lots of clouds were blowing through. Sunshine was spotty. During one of these moments of sunshine I found a school of small Cobia sitting under a Bouy near the Beach. Before I ever came down out of the Tower I had already cast 2 Bucktails and hooked 2 Cobias. Once on deck I got another one to smack a Top Water Plug. Too bad they were all 28" to 31" fish. Finally, after releasing 2 Cobias and as I was about to land the last one I noticed another Cobia swimming with the hooked Cobia. This one ate a whole squid tossed in his direction and a few minutes later, Cobias number 3 and 4 had been released. All this happened on a scouting trip to look for Bait. I thought about trying to set up and do some bait fishing, but I never tried. I'm getting pretty good at catching these baby Cobias. However, I am getting the feeling that every time I go back to work at Hatteras, the Cobia bite here in Carteret County goes off. That is 2 years in a row that it's been like that. I'm sick of it. At least I've got another night run coming uo at Hatteras and hopefully I'll have my boat up there again. Total Catch for the Day: 4 Cobia (all released)

No comments: