Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Jan 10 The Mystery of MISERY

With my time at Hatteras winding down and the Striped Bass bite WFO, I couldn't stand it.... So in into the teeth of a brutal 15kt NE wind and temps in the low 30s and with a winter storm brewing to the south, I launched and headed out of Oregon Inlet all alone. I knew I messed up when the first spray of the first wave blasted my bare face. Water temp on my bottom scope was 35 degrees. Okay, the fish supposedly chewed all day on Sunday from the Inlet to Jeanettes Pier. All day and close to the Beach. So I rode up to Jeanettes in 3-4 foot seas. No Bait, No Birds. Commercial Drop Netters were everywhere and they weren't finding them either. By 11am I was headed home with nothing but frostbite and a gas bill. I guess the very few boats that caught them found them after lunch. I missed it. I had suffered enough and honestly it was a little dangerous to be out there by myself that day... Total Catch for the Day: ZERO

5 comments:

Ryan said...

I'll give you mad credit just for going. I got dressed and ready to load up the kayak and tackle Monday afternoon while it was snowing here with about 4-5" on the ground. I put up the garage door and stood there for about 10 sec staring at the sleet bouncing off my car and snow on the roof even with the level of my rack pads before putting the door back down and changing my mind.

Anonymous said...

Ant Willis,Hey Marty been there done that,there will be better days my friend.Anything showin up at the cape?I've heard some yarns.

Anonymous said...

Monday was as cold as I've ever been. Water temps in the mid 30s in the Inlet. I pretty much knew the bite had been more consistent after lunch and a little farther North and I couldn't do it. I was a little shaky from numbness in my hands and feet in that 3 foot slop. It would've been interesting seeing the effect of catching a Striped Bass on my body. Im sure I would've warmed right up!

Capt Marty

Anonymous said...

You may have a death wish if you ventured out in weather like that alone. In my opinion and even with a mate it sounds border line.....to me a fish just ain't worth it. I only say this because I enjoy reading your reports and would like to continue.

Anonymous said...

To the worried Anon poster.... You may be right. In my defense, and since I made it in unscathed, there is a LOT of Boating activity at Oregon Inlet these days. There were lots of center consoles smaller than mine out that day with net crews. Help would and should be with you immediately. However, in 35degree water, it better come quick. In the end, the cold chased me in, that alone made it not worth it..... The bottom line is I NEED TO SPEND MY NEXT THOUSAND ON A SET OF CURTAINS. To eliminate that wind and freezing spray...

Capt Marty