Friday, January 28, 2011

Jan 28 Striped Bass Fishing





With my Boat on the shelf with false alarms that make trolling for Striped Bass nearly impossible....... This morning at 3am, I made a good decision to head out the door and go Striped Bass fishing at Oregon Inlet with Capt Tuggy. Honestly, the fishing was so good, it sucked. However, Capt Tuggy gets full credit for working his "Striper Magic" and I know that lots of boats failed to produce.... Or produce legally.... Whatever..... How can the fishing be so good that it sucked? Well, I got up at 3 am and I got home at 9pm. We basically fished for 20 minutes, caught 20 Striped Bass with a total weight of between 350-400 pounds. Caught them all at once. up to three per rod. We had a 35, 37 and 39 lb 12 oz Striped Bass. Tuggy got the biggest one as part of a doubleheader with a 25 pounder. I've watched his technique and studied his rigs enough now... I'm ready. I need to get my engine fixed. It looks like the fishing is going to be good for another month. At one time today, we marked 60 feet of solid Striped Bass. Lots of Whales today also Right Whales, Humpbacks and Fin Whales. Also, lots of C-130s, Helicopters, and CG Cutters. The Feds certainly dont want their Striped Bass tampered with in wake of last weeks massacre. Obama would proud of their vigilance along the 3 mile line at a 1000 dollars an hour..... Total Catch for the Day: 20 Striped Bass up to 39 lb 12 oz

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bizarre. Even for you....

Anonymous said...

Looks like I might have to go on the Injuried Reserve. This morning I dropped a 37 lb Striped Bass on my foot and 2 of his dorsal spines penetrated my boot and the top of my foot. Fishing through the pain and showing great character and dedication, I kept my mouth shut..... Now 14 hours later, I am crippled and hoping that I don't get fish poisoning.

Capt Marty

Anonymous said...

fish poisoning...do tell...

Anonymous said...

I ain't got fish poisoning. Sorry for the false alarm

Capt Marty

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy should be fishing today. Believe it or not I had one in my box that weighed 39 and 36. The best quote of the day was the grady yelling "he's got two on one rod!!!!" I guess he failed to see the other 6 rods loaded also!!!!! If he only knew...

Capt tugwell

Capt. Marty said...

I made the changes to the blog.... The fish I cleaned were stuffed with baby Anchovies. Not silversides but only us "fish freaks" distinguish between species when 5 of them can fit on your thumb nail. tiny stuff. The same bait was thick off Shack yesterday... The only difference---Oregon Inlet is loaded with Whales and Striped Bass. Beaufort Inlet (and the Hatteras Island Beaches for that matter) are loaded with Bottlenosed Dolphins. My theory (for now) Striped Bass and Flipper don't get along....

Anonymous said...

Chop Chop Chop
Kill Kill Kill
Ha Ha Ha

Capt. Marty said...

Hey LeRoy, how ya doing?