Saturday, January 15, 2011

Jan 15 Spiny Dogs at Cape Lookout


I returned home and with a trip scheduled for tomorrow I figured I needed to go on a little scouting trip. I found ideal conditions, which make any trip much more enjoyable. I found hundreds of Bottlenose Dolphins playing on the Shoals and riding the swells. Now for the bad news..... All I found to catch was Spiny Dogfish. And I found them by the hundreds. In all honesty, they do put up a nice tussle and they are heavily regulated and support a massive commercial fishery. Therefore, somebody likes to eat them!! Hopefully, tomorrow we will catch a few Dogs and also find some more glamorous species. Total Catch for the Day: 8 Spiny Dogfish up to 10 pounds, 1 Clearnosed Skate and 1 Pinfish

5 comments:

Ryan said...

I know they also use spiny doggies for disections in school science classes. I remember slicing one open in the sixth grade.

Anonymous said...

All the females are pregnant right now. They abort their unborn if you handle them too long. Its pretty amazing. The babies swim away with a big egg sac attached. Gulls love them, they got to hurry their ass up right out of the gate!

Capt Marty

Anonymous said...

I think they are pretty darn good to eat, but you have to gut them as soon as you catch them and back the insides with ice or they don't taste that great. The meat sours pretty fast if not done that way.

Anonymous said...

Ugly, pregnant, and impossible to get rid of--should be called the 'morning after nightmare fish.'

Capt. Marty said...

Thats Hilarious..... Ugly Pregnant Impossible to get rid of..... But when we can't find anything else.... Yesterday was Closing Time/ Last Call from the get go.... Bring on the Doggies