Sunday, January 2, 2011

2010 Fishing Review


The highlight of the 2010 Fishing Year for Top Water Charters will definitely be the Spring/Early Summer part of the year. Vast schools of small Red Drum inhabited the Cape Lookout Shoals all winter and while searching for them in March of 2010, I began to encounter larger Red Drum. By April of 2010, I was pretty much running straight to schools of 30-50 lb Red Drum. I have never found these fish in Carteret County Ocean waters with this consistency. Then it got even better. Returning from Hatteras around the first of May and with early Cobia rumors swirling, I fished in the fog one day. Knowing that I couldn't sight cast Red Drum or search for a Cobia, I decided to take a last chance at a few Atlantic Bonito that I had pretty much ignored this Spring because of the big Red Drum. Casting over bait, in the fog, a mile off Atlantic Beach, I caught a 26 lb Blackfin Tuna on a stingsilver and a small spinning rod. That was a highlight. A great Spring of 2010 was shaping up. The following day, it reached epic porportions. With light winds and bright sunlight, I had a 15 Cobia day, with 2 fish at 57 and 58 pounds. All on bucktails and spinning tackle. These numbers are a pretty common occurence from Hatteras to the Va Line, but unheard of for Beaufort Inlet. The following morning, the first place I looked I found 100+ Cobia milling on top. All huge fish! Three casts equaled three fish hooked up. Two broke off on each other and Josh Faglie landed the other at 78 pounds. A fleet of boats had seen the activity and moved in on that school, so I left and headed off to the east. When the day was over, we had caught 19 Cobia, headlined by my personal best 94 pounder. Then the wind and the weather and the Marine Fisheries came.... Cobia fishing remained "bettter than average" but the year's highlights were over for me. The rest of the year can be easily summarized. Great Bluefishing, good Spanish Mackerel. Good Amberjack fishing. Good Shark fishing. Numbers were really good for the much-sportier Blacktip Sharks. We had an epic day on a school of those things in the fall. Big ones at 100+ pounds and lots of them on top water plugs!. I did not involve myself with Flounder or King Mackerel at all this summer/fall. Sight casting to Puppy Drum was good but inconsistent. A giant September rain event killed the Albacore bite and ended the Spanish Mackerel run prematurely. Finally, Speckled Trout numbers were unreal, but their size was a huge let down. Remember that my work schedule causes me to miss lots of good fishing as well. The best week of Giant Red Drum fishing in the Pamlico Sound and Neuse River occurred while I was not fishing. There was also a week of great live bait fishing for big King Mackerel and Wahoo that happened while I was working. I can't catch all the great fishing, but this year worked out pretty good for me. A decent number of charters and a career Cobia for me. 72 total NC Citations with 8 different species represented. Thats pretty typical of what I've produced the past 10 years. Fishing at Hatteras has produced lots of Citations for me personally. Flounders and Sheepsheads. This year I didn't fish up there much at all. This year, I anticipate returning to my "fishy ways".   ****2931 Total Fish in 2010***

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How many fish did you catch last year?