Friday, April 22, 2011

April 22 Capt Marty's Darkest Day




Today could've been my best ever in Fresh Water. The way it turned out, Chris will never forget it...... I lost 2 Potentially CAREER LARGEST LARGEMOUTH BASS and FELL IN A POND. Korey laughed and Chris snickered. The Bass were chewing plastic worms like crazy. Fished 4 ponds. Two Ponds were redhot. I lost 2 freaking "Freshwater Gag Groupers". One of them I had hooked twice. Legit 10-12 pound Largemouth Bass. Other was a just a run of the mill 8-10 pounder. Too much wind created a bow in my line, too small of a rod and only using 8 lb mono, those are my pitiful excuses. All 3 bites were solid and on all 3 bites I DID NOT SET THE HOOK PROPERLY. All 3 times I got a peeled back plastic worm flying back in my face. What a nightmare. I knew I was in Carteret County's best Big Bass Water and I screwed it up. Royally......Korey won the battle with 3 lb 8 oz Largemouth Bass. We all caught plenty of 1-2 lb. Bass. Could've been epic. Total Catch for the Day: 35 Largemouth Bass and 5 Bluegill. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The big one always gets away, I guess that's what keeps us going back and doing it again. Are any of these ponds your fishing open for public access? I'd love to get my 3 yo on some bass and bream.

ehirunner said...

Well, thanks for being human. I've had multiple 3-6 lb trout slip through my fingers at the edge of the water in the last three days, myself. Broke line, butterfingers, but at least I stayed dry.

Wish I could take you up on getting that boat in the water...

Capt. Marty said...

Anon, Over in MHC, the ponds at Wal Mart, about 5 of them, are all loaded with Bass and Bream. Plus I caught a 7 lb Bass over there a couple of years ago. On a fly rod too. They are Public waters. In Beaufort, I dont have the authority to give permission, but most of the little Ponds I fish, you can catch a few and nobody will say anything.... Ehi, a 6 lb Trout escaping would be a crushing blow! Hey, the biggest live to get bigger! In my case, the Lengendary Bass of Lennoxville just wrote a new chapter. That Bass will be 15 lbs by tommorrow morning!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Marty, did Chris get you all wet????? You really need to get you a woman!!!!!

Tuggy

Capt. Marty said...

Tugwell look just because you are having fun.... You got to remember, I was a soph at EZU the year you were born. I been all kinds of wet. The Pond Water didn't cost me a dime!!!!