Monday, April 25, 2011

April 25 Citation Cobias, Citation Bonitos, all you want Bluefish






This morning I got pushed off AR 315. I mean, come on, there's 5 boats jigging and casting metal over one small spot and here comes a shiny, new, wrapped 60,000 dollar Bay Boat no doubt with a freshly minted "we give the test" Captain at the helm. pulling 4 planers and spoons. Right through the fleet. Thankfully I left those the Reef and all those 1 lb Bluefish......What I found---The Day of the Year! And everywhere I went, I had it all to myself... In I had 9 Atlantic Bonito strikes on metal, put 4 in the box from 5-6 lbs, released 3 at 25" to 26", lost a giant one at the net, and broke one off. Then we ran to Cape Lookout and caught Bluefish on every cast with top water plugs. Nice Blues from 2-3 lb each. Then we went east and looked for Red Drum. We found Cobia. Lots of them. We botched several. I ran over plenty. Chris caught a 66 lb Cobia. Chris released a 45" Cobia. I caught a 25 lb Cobia. Total Catch for the Day: 9 Atlantic Bonito up to 26", 3 Cobia up to 66 lbs, 50 Bluefish, and 2 Black Sea Bass  

14 comments:

Capt. Marty said...

SELF PROMOTION? LOOK AT THOSE PICTURES YOU MORON.

Anonymous said...

Hey man, speaking of self promotion, did you get the texts that I sent you on the reason I missed the 70 pounder last week???? Freaking Halarious

Tugwell

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ryan said...

You, sir, have just provided the motivation I needed to get my ass in gear and catch some fish. Thank you.

Capt. Marty said...

Ryan,

Good luck and get on it. I got 3 Bonito over 24" yesterday. My biggest killed was 6-8. I tossed a couple back for release papers for my Citation Collection. That makes 32 different ones. Still looking for that damn 3 lb Croaker. I hate to smuggle in a Va Croaked!

Anonymous said...

Excited to see the pics and report of the cobia. I'm headed out this week looking for them. I'd love to sink the steel into a pig like that 70 pounder...

Capt. Marty said...

Ryan,

If you can get this.... I freaking left my computer at home, my smart(?) phone won't send email, and I can't send email on Kubiak's computer....In response to your email--- If you want to fish Lookout on your Kayak, you call me and I will haul you out there and set you in the Cobias. I'm gonna be off from May 3 until May 23. Let me know if this plan can work. I'd love to watch you do battle. I can probably haul 4 yaks. If I aint got a charter, I'll be headed there anyway. Pile in bro. My boat holds lots of Cobia, beer, and girls on non-charter days....

Anonymous said...

Nice Cobia. If you don't mind me asking, did you catch them around bait balls in Beaufort Inlet? Thanks Captain.

Harry Barnes

Capt. Marty said...

Harry,

Not around bait. Just cruising the surface in open water. Years of skill and experience to find them Self Promotion. Actually pure luck. I got a spot that is my secret strip of water. Anybody who ever fished with me has been there. It is big Drum, big Cobia, and big Shark alley. Its hard to get to but it is an amazing place. Probably produced 200 citations in the past 10 years. I was looking for Drum there and found Cobia instead. I pretty much knew I'd find something! The "Yellow Bouy Navy" is never around this area, it's all mine.

Anonymous said...

Marty, there you go again sharing all the SECRET spots!!!! Dont worry, by the time you get home I will have put up the posted signs to keep people out!!!! And hopefully fix the other issue!!!

Tugwell

Capt. Marty said...

I'm pretty sure you haven't been near that spot with me. We didn't have to go there last year.

Banks said...

Capt. Marty,
Were these cobia offshore or to the east of the shoals? If that is too specific to answer I understand.

JD Dallas said...

Nice Cobia Marty !!!

Capt. Marty said...

Banks,

Banks,

I got no problem with the "where part". I'll be at Hatteras until next week and those particular fish will be off Avon by then... They were swimming in open water to the east of the shoals, within 2miles from the shoals and probably 2-3 miles off the beach. All fish were swimming south as hard as they could. Go figure...

JD,

Whats up ddude!