Friday, April 1, 2011

High Winds and Squid Explosion



Here I sit at Hatteras, with the Night Shift, with my Boat, with nothing to do all day, and Bluefin Tunas and Killer Whales just over the horizon to the East....... And here is the latest NOAA Marine Weather Forecast: Friday W 15-20, Saturday W 20-25, Sunday NW 15-20, Monday S 15-20, Tuesday SW 25-30...... In other words, I aint going fishing. Not in the Boat anyway. So Tuesday, me and my Boat are headed back to Beaufort Inlet. Hopefully the weather will improve. Its got to...... Last night at Hatteras Inlet something strange happened. On both sides of the Inlet, millions and millions of Squid showed up out of nowhere. Don't get too excited, these are tiny Squid. I just hope its a good sign that next December I will be catching 12" to 18" Squid on squid jigs by the bucketfull like I did in 2008 and 2009. Regardless of their size, it was an amazing sight. They turned the water into a red soup under any light, but even out of the lights if you looked hard enough, you could see them. They were literally everywhere........ Also yesterday, I found a long dead 50 lb Black Drum on the South Beach. I could've used him for my Citation Quest.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The squid photos are wild. Just curious when you work the night shift and talk about nothing to do all day if it's nasty.....when do you sleep?

Anonymous said...

Marty Moore Call ME! Tuggy

Capt. Marty said...

Anon,

Night Shift on the Ferry runs from 5:30pm until 6:00am. So I got pretty much all day to sleep or fish... I'll give up a day of sleep for a Cobia or a Tuna or a Big Red Drum...

Capt. Marty said...

Hey Tuggy, leave me alone I'm catching fat Largemouth Bass on balls of bread.......

April's Fools

Mike said...

Have you seen the Killer Whales? Aren't they unusual around here?