Sunday, April 24, 2011

April 24 No Bonito---Bonito Fishing


Still looking for my first Atlantic Bonito amid a flood of rumors..... I hate to say it, but with the way dudes are hyping "their fishing business" and "general bragging", I dont believe anything that I don't see.... I know I judge some people wrong but I also catch quite a few liars, and a fishing lie is really just a fishing tale, no big deal... Let's just say, the elusive and much-coveted Bonito were not there on Thursday in their normal place.... They weren't there today either.... In the meantime the water temp has dropped from 69 to 63 at AR 315 and AR 320. Have the Bonito made it north of New River Inlet???? Believe what you want.... So anyway, fishing was great today for 1-2 lb Bluefish. All you want, one at a time on metal or two at a time on speck rigs. Also big, adult, pregnant Smooth Dogfish were at Cape Lookout in good numbers. The biggest I caught was a 24 lb monster. Medium sized Spiny Dogfish were mixed in as well. The always interesting Cownose Rays in out in huge schools. I always like to catch a few Cownose Rays every April. Good practice for patience with a long fight for the upcoming Cobia migration. Big Fish on Light Tackle, I like to say. Today's Cownose Rays that were released were in the 40 lb class. Brown Mambas. The bottom bag also included the first Pinfish and Hogfish of the year. Several Black Sea Bass and a Sea Robin. The Top Water Boat didn't perform flawlessly, by any means. Hopefully the kinks are worked out though. Lots of fish around, lots of big fish. Lots of Trophy Fish will soon be here. I can't wait. Total Catch for the Day: 100 Bluefish, 8 Smooth Dogfish, 1 Spiny Dogfish, 3 Cownose Rays, 4 Black Sea Bass, 1 Pinfish, 1 Hogfish, and 1 Striped Sea Robin

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you get back from Hatteras, I will be sitting on your porch with a case of beer, 2 dozen bucktails, a bag of tails, and my raingear!!!! Gear up bitch, its game on!!!!!

Tuggy

Capt. Marty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Beware Fishing Guides with NO PICTURES (digital photos are too easy not to!) And NO FISHING REPORTS (most will tell a lie but not have it published).... Capt Marty tells it like it is. If it sucks, he says it sucked. I like that.

Anonymous said...

Capt Marty is definitely on my top 3 list of favorites in Carteret County, and I've never fished with him but have read his reports for a long time. Unlike a lot of other Captains, if he says the bite was hot it was on fire. At the same time, if it wasn't up to par he'll tell you it stunk. Thanks for what you do Marty, and keep up the good work. I keep telling myself and my buddies that we are going to fish with you one day.

Capt. Marty said...

Thanks Anons,

Too much variety around Beaufort Inlet to have many bad days. A little writing skills (very little) and a couple of interesting pics and a day of fishing can be made to look pretty damn exciting.. Plus, with zero profit margin, I usually can run somewhere to find something. I'm "in it" to stay on the water, not to make a house payment! Nobody wants to catch fish as bad as me, trust me!!!

Anonymous said...

Never trust anonymous comments being from anyone but the pages author secretly promoting himself.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stella said...

Hey capt Marty! Did any of those fish u caught have Easter bunnie ears??? Hahahaha....hope u had a great Easter! Still recovering...bout to go nuts....keep telling it like it is in ur blog...I think ur writing skills are awesome and u r a grt storyteller!!! Take care on the water and grt fishn to u!! Stella

Capt. Marty said...

Water Dog still reading my blog. Thats a compliment. We all know you're the best.

Hey Stella! Fishing took a turn for the better today... A big turn!

I'm sure others did better, haha

Anonymous said...

Haters Hating