Tuesday, June 5, 2012

June 3 Cobias, Groupers, Triggers & more


Geoffry, Sarah, Phil, and Hans finally helped me break out of a fishing slump.... It was another slow morning of Rays and Turtles and I decided, even though the wind and seas were really a little too brisk, to head offshore to a wreck in the middle of the day.. Really the tide and wind were combining at Cape Lookout to make bad fishing really miserable. The boat was swinging back and forth and Will and I were trying to be entertaining and constantly tending to slack lines... I was readty to quit! So I decided to go riding.... And an hour later, we were somewhere we didn't need to be! However, Phil quickly hooked up a 33" Cobia on a stingsilver and light spinning tackle. Meanwhile, everyone else was bringing up a steady stream of Black Sea Bass, Spottail Pinfish, Gray Triggerfish, and Tautog... The fishing was quickly getting fun. I dropped a live shad down and immediately got a bite. I handed the rod to Hans, and he quickly dispatched 24" Gag Grouper.... And thats how it went for the next 90 minutes. When it was over, we had 2 Cobia and a nice box full of Grouper, Triggers, and a Tautog.... After that, we went back inshore and tried again for a bigger Cobia.. All we got was another Turtle and a couple of big Southern Stingrays... Total Catch for the Day: 2 Cobia, 6 Gag Grouper, 2 Gray Triggerfish, 4 Spottatil Pinfish, 1 Tautog, 4 Southern Stingray up to 90lbs, 12 Bluefish, 3 Atlantic Thread Herring and 1 Hogfish

6 comments:

Capt. Marty said...

Sorry, I just did my good deed and sent Robin's camera home to Buxton. The next day, my camera died. Believe it or not, y'all can take up a "Capt Marty camera donation fund"..... In the meantime, I did take a couple of pics with my phone, but with 15+ knots of SW wind and 3 foot seas, the pics are lacking... Get over it.....

Anonymous said...

you are such a great guy...JeNN

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Capt. Marty said...

Really anon, actions speak louder than words...and I'm here for 7 days. Prove it.

Chris said...

I always wanna know what the deleted posts said.

I'll tell you what. If you don't have a new camera by the time I get to EI in August, I'll buy you one, just to show you what a nice guy I am, and that I didn't mean anything by that first comment. I just wanna see the fishieeeeees...

Capt. Marty said...

Hey Chris, I will have to get me a new camera next week... I hate Fishing Guides that rave about their great catches, but never post pictures! As for the deleted comments, they run the gamut. All kinds of stuff. I dont have a Facebook acct so some people figure this is as close as it gets to Capt Marty's social networking... I get offers, threats, and apologies here. And it aint got nothing to do with fishing!!!