Thursday, December 13, 2012

Dec 11 & 12 LARGE Striped Bass in Virginia





I heard about it for years. This year Thanks to Capt Chris Kimrey of Mount Maker Charters (www.mountmakercharters.com) I was able to experience the Cape Charles Virginia Float Eel Fishery. Unfortunately, I picked 2 horrible weather days to experience this.... Actually, I went up there for one day and the weather sucked. I then "rolled the dice" on day 2 and the weather was actually worse... So, basically, I wore the same clothes for 48+ hours. Nastiest I've been since my commercial Grouper/Snapper career ended in 1990. Thankfully, I'd forgotten the stench of wearing (and fishing in) the same clothes for multiple days..... As for the fishing..... Fortunately, Chris knew what the hell he was doing. Fortunately again, fishing was "just good enough" to get one bite each day in steep, short 4 foot seas and in 15-20 NE winds, under dark and sometimes rainy skies... So on 2 days that 90% of the Fleet stayed cancelled trips and stayed at the Dock (at the Bar apparently) Chris hooked me up to a 38 lb Striped Bass 20 seconds after the first live eel went in the water on 12/11. Then on 12/12, a 46 lb 14oz Striped Bass attacked our first live eel 30 seconds after tossing him in the Chesapeake Bay! Unfortunately, we didnt know when to quit either day either! After the immediate bites (kiss of death) each day, we bopped around and froze and suffered for another 3-4 biteless hours.... Oh well, looks like great weather is coming this weekend and I'd expect Chris and his fishing network up there to produce lots of 30-50 lb Striped Bass. I know he has some open dates after Christmas and I highly recommend to anyone to go up there and go fishing. Contact Chris. (Cell# 252-342-0464) He can take you or steer you in the right direction to the biggest Striped Bass of your life without having to fight all that ridiculous trolling tackle. Total Catch for the 2 Days: 2 Striped Bass at 38 lbs and 46 lbs 14oz

No comments: