Saturday, December 15, 2012

Dec 15 Pretty Day, Tough Fishing



Brent & Hunter took advantage of the "Christmas Special" and I was damn glad to get on the water myself. The "Top Water" has been sitting all fall/early winter and she was raring to go with bad water pump, cracked flywheel and all! The problem was the serious lack of fish that the Beaufort Inlet area has been experiencing. Or so I've been told, honestly, I haven't been around enough to even know.... Anyway, we headed out this morning with 5 dozen mud minnows and went Trout Fishing.... Only with extremely high tides and dark skies, I decided to waste a little time down to the west at AR-315..... And we stayed down there the entire day. It wasn't great, but the reports from the Rock Jetty weren't that good either. So we played around with "all kinds of ideas" and we managed to have fun and catch some fish. Unfortunately, Hunter sat out most of it with an aching back. (I can sympathize) Brent had the 3 Best Fish of the day (debatable).... He had a 17" and a 16" Speckled Trout on a metal jig in 50 foot of water. He also caught a 18" Red Drum on a bucktail at the same depth. My "signature" fish was a 4 lb Black Sea Bass that hurt me to let him go, and since it is "illegal" Brent awarded himself the "Fisherman of the Day" award....... Anyway. Spiny Dogfish on light spin filled the role of Big Fish.... All in all, I call it great day, with a great angler, and hopefully we all put our troubles aside for a day! And I was just happy to have someone to go fishing with me because all my other buddys are duck hunting... Total Catch for the Day: 3 Speckled Trout up to 18", a 18" Red Drum, 20 Black Sea Bass up to 19", 2 Hogfish, 2 Northern Puffer, 1 Leopard Sea Robin and 12 Spiny Dogfish from 6-12lbs each

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marty,

Thanks for a good day on the water. Hunter slept all the way home and had a fever of about 101 when we got home. I asked him why he didn't tell me he was sick and didn't just have sore back. He sad, " Dad, I didn't want to ruin your day." I think I'll keep him and not throw him back. He's a pretty good kid.

Brent

Capt. Marty said...

Brent,

You are the best fisherman that comes on my boat and I got a few good ones. It's always a pleasure because I can learn something useful and have a great time. Sorry Hunter didn't feel good. Remind him that he still holds the Top Water Charter's Amberjack record at 85 lbs. You guys should take a shot at Cobia fishing this spring. I think you'd do well sightcasting and I know lady-luck will be on your side.. Thanks again and Merry Christmas

Marty

Anonymous said...

Marty,

I would love to do the cobia fishing. Thanks for the compliment, maybe I'll have to start billing you for the jigging tips. Ha ha. Hopefully I can bring both my boys next time and they won't be sick.

Brent

Capt. Marty said...

BY THE WAY

The fried Blowtoads were absolutely were delicious