Friday, December 21, 2012

The Wreck of SS Oriental and the Town of Oriental



Well, I'm still at Stumpy Point. I'm still the Night Watchman. The Fishing has been non-existent. (Note- I am coming home on Dec 25th and I expect to be home for 21 days..... So I will be going fishing. Trout, Drum, Albacore. The fish better BEWARE because Capt Marty is coming! Please call me at 252-241-8350 if you are interested in going fishing) Anyway, I was driving down Pea Island this morning and as I always do, I looked back through a certain pair of dunes and got a look at "The Boiler" as it's known up this way. Something re-assuring to know that its always there. As if the damn thing could possibly go somewhere. Hell its been there for 150 years. It has seen its share of Hurricanes and Tautogs and everything in between.... It also gave me an idea for my "next piece of meaningless information". As always, I wonder if anyone reads this Blog. (Hey Jennifer, I know you read it baby. I love you SO MUCH. Can't wait until tommorrow. I think I'll show you the Boiler in person----How Romantic!) Anyway, The "Boiler" is just that, a Boiler. It is all that remains of the SS Oriental, a 218 foot long Federal Transport Ship that wrecked on the Beach here on May 28th of 1862. It is very interesting for 2 reasons. First, and of a "fisherman's interest" is that it is rare in that it is still highly visible 150 years after its demise. It is one of the few actual relics left on our coast to remind you of how treacherous and deadly the North Carolina Coast was back in those days. The Shoals and Inlets were bad enough, but then toss in incredible currents and waves, plus the confluence of two great masses of water, the cold Labrador Current clashing with the warm Gulf Stream created "weather on the spot" and crazy ass scenarios that I've seen on the Outer Banks that I haven't encountered anywhere else.... Like zero visibility fog when its blowing 40 knots! Deadly. Anyway, a shipwrecked Steamer lay just offshore Pea Island in 1862 and a young Island girl named Rebecca found the nameboard and other artifacts. She kept them.....Decades later and 100 miles away, a small settlement off the Neuse River called Smith's Creek needed a new name. The town was getting a Post Office and  residents didn't like the name Smith's Creek.The new Postmaster was a fellow named Mr Lou Midyette and his wife Rebecca had an idea.... She had an old nameboard off a shipwreck that she had found many years before when she was a young girl growing up on the Outer Banks! The name was "Oriental". Today Oriental is a quaint little town dominated by Sailboats and Downeast Guide Service (Haha). As for the SS Oriental, the Federal Troop Transport..... The Boiler is right where it's been for 150 years. Come summer, it will be teeming with Sheepsheads, Triggerfish, Sea Bass, and Tautog. Snorkelers can swim to it from the Beach. Good Luck and Happy Holidays Everyone. I hope you find this interesting. My history lessons are coming to an end. Its nearly time to go FISHING!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really like the fishing related history lessons Cap'n, keep em coming. Merry Christmas.

From:
a former charter

Salty Bob said...

Merry Christmas you old kook, now put some d$%#^#% fish pics up on here. Loveyameanit!!!! Salty Bob

Capt. Marty said...

Bob

Answer your phone. I've called you 1000 times

Marty