Monday, July 15, 2013

July 15 Best Amberjack Fishing in Years






It had been 2 weeks with no "real" fishing.... First, I got married. Then the wind blew. It also rained. Sheesh, the summer of 2013 looking like a "Summer of No Fishing"..... Captains Chris and Ryan are both home from Atlantic City (poor fellas)  Anyway, we've all been wanting to go fishing. Grouper Fishing to be exact. The day I got married was the best weather, but Jennifer was frowning at me with her beautiful big brown eyes..... So we passed on that day. Then came wind and rain and more wind.... Right down to the last day. So this morning the forecast was east wind at 10-15 with 3-5 foot seas.... I pretty much said, cancel the Grouper Fishing and we'll go the Cape Lookout Shoals and scour them for Bluefish, Red Drum, and Shark. The crew was mutinous..... We caught 7 dozen Menhaden just for the hell of it and cleared  Barden's Inlet at 7am! The water was beautiful and the seas weren't that bad, but got worse as we headed off the Beach. Too bad, we were committed not to head East or real far South or Southwest. All better fishing but the Conditions were not Optimal! So, we plodded off at 15 knots to the Southeast and we soon arrived at some "fishy looking spots" in 80 foot of water. This is where "Grouper Fishing starts"... Unfortunately, we could not catch any Grouper. Every bait was intercepted by an Amberjack. For 2 hours we caught Jack after Jack. We downsized our tackle. We ended up with the light spinning tackle. I caught a 22 lb Amberjack on 10# spin. Not great, but a 2:1 catch. I am not sure what Ryan and Chris were spooled up with, but they caught Jacks on their light stuff too.... After we'd had enough, we tried some other stuff and failed.... Once again, too much wind and sea to make a "big move" possible, so we headed in to the Shoals..... Once there we found the motherlode of Bluefish. Big black schools. Acres. It was every cast for 30 minutes. We kept enough for Jennifer's Dad to feast on..... The boat was bloodied! I had had enough. Thats a rarity.... So we headed towards Beaufort Inlet. Christopher seemed depressed. He whispered to Ryan, "What we gonna do now".... Hold on Boys, I spotted the "Capt Gunner" on the horizon with Tom Jr at the helm.... And in his wheel wash we found a light tackle utopia...... Dozens of Sharks racing back and forth. Singles. Doubles. Wolfpacks of 10-12 Sharks. 30 lb Blacknoses. 50 lb Spinners. 100 lb Blacktips..... God only knows what else..... Shark Fishing CAN NOT GET ANY BETTER. Every cast resulted in a hook-up. We were casting dead Shad and working them like Zara Spooks. But not for long, the strikes came fast and they were very explosive. It was awesome. Again the boys downsized. Catching action-packed Sharks on light spin. It was a perfect end to a perfect day.... But why was Christopher angry? He really wanted a Grouper. I am sorry old Pal...... Total Catch for the Day: 21 Amberjack up to 34 lbs, 45 Bluefish at 2 lbs each, 5 Blacktip Sharks up to 75 lbs, 3 Blacknose Sharks up to 32 lbs, 1 Spinner Shark at 33 lbs, and 7 Sharpnose Sharks up to 10 lbs  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you do with all those sharks?
If it's "eat 'em" can you point me to some more information? (I've always thrown them back)

Capt. Marty said...

My clients keep them occasionally. I know that the Blacktip and Spinner Sharks are very valuable commercially. I'd imagine that a Google search on How-To (catch, clean, cook) these fish would give you plenty of information. I know they taste great but they have to be 54" LJF. That's a pretty damn big Shark and more than I really need. Therefore, I release 90% of my Sharks. I am rarely "fish hungry" and I have lots of access to smaller fish. As I get older the appeal of catching big fish has not fallen, but I dont like lugging around, cleaning, or caring for a big fish and all that meat! Give me a 30 lb Cobia and i'm happy. Y'all can have the 80 pounders!!!!

Ryan said...

Sweet, I'm waiting for you to catch one of my tagged sharks. Had a couple recaptures up that way a few years ago.

Tom Chesebro said...

WHAT A DAY Capt Marty !!!
Figures, I couldn't go with you !!!!
I woulda loved to get into those big Amberjacks...never caught one..yet !!!
We'll have to get together soon...like I said, if you find a party that needs an extra guy to share the expense of a charter with you, let me know, and I'm be there brother !!!
Take care.
Tom