Saturday, July 27, 2013

July 27 Great Barracuda...... The Name Says It All







Today was not my best day. I had a rough night and this morning I was........SLOW. And I ran aground and got us stuck in a very bad way in a very bad spot.... Lennoxville Point. I've only been in and out of there 75-100 times this year. I didn't care how shallow it is or that it is unmarked.... I've done it time and time again. This morning I was blinking sleep out of my eyes, I was running my mouth, I was not concentrating and as I watched my track lines fade to the east, I turned slightly to the west.

WRONG MOVE

So we bumped once and came to a sudden stop. I short while later a Good Samaritan in the World's Strongest Carolina Skiff pulled us off.... After that episode, my confidence was shattered and the crew that senses the Captains weakness soon turned into a mutinous mob.... I was forced into the lifeboat with my loyal crew member, Jalen, and we sailed a dingy half way around the World.... Fletcher Christain and his supporters went back to Tahiti and grabbed all the pretty Island Girls and sailed to Pitcairn Island, where their descendants still live today..... Oh, wrong story!     Here's our story: The Amberjacks bit really good and they were larger than the one's we've been catching. Barracudas put on a great show. Swimming around the boat and hitting our baits like bolts of lightning. Smoking line off the reel and leaping high into the sky.... Reminding me as to why Great Barracudas are ONE of my Top 5 All-Time Favorite Gamefish! It was all good until our only Grouper got chomped in two.... "Danggone Barracuda, please leave us alone!" Then a suicidal Dolphin ate one of our baits.. He put on another good aerial performance. Lots of action... Stacy caught a solid 2 lb Pinfish that I didn't get a picture of. Dammit... Once again, the crew let my mate, Jalen reel in a few fish. He got a NC Citation winning 50" Barracuda and a pretty Almaco Jack.Thanks again to a very, very nice group. Bobby was first class and I am truly sorry that I made a few mistakes. Later in the day, the Top Water Boat wasn't acting right and I decided that we could not safely fish on the Cape Lookout Shoals in the manner that I am used too... Once again, I apologize to Bobby and his crew and despite a "big catch", I feel like I let the Crew down. I am very  sorrry....... Total Catch for the Day: 7 Amberjacks up to 33 lbs. 2 Great Barracuda at 50"+ each, 1 Almaco Jack at 15 lbs, 1 Gag Grouper at 9 lbs, 1 Dolphin at 10 lbs, 18 Black Sea Bass up to 16", 1 Pinfish at 2 lbs, 1 Whitebone Porgy at 1 lb 8oz, 1 small Tomtate, 2 Spottail Pinfish up to 1 lb 8oz, and 10 Sharpnose Sharks from 7-12 lbs each

10 comments:

Chris said...

White. Bone. Porgy.

Capt. Marty said...

My old pal Tom..... Tom "WhiteAnalSpine Porgy" Whitehead...... Introduced me to Hickory Shad fishing in 1986. 8 years later, I caught my first one.

The Porgy family is a complicated one... Sheepshead and Red Porgy are the "a" list porgys. Knobbed Porgy, Saucereye Porgy, Scup, Jolthead Porgy, and Whitebone Porgy are in the next group... The nuisance fish would be the Pinfish, Sailor's Choice, Longspine Porgy, Silver Porgy, and Spottail Pinfish..... Go catch them and google the difference.... My favorites are Sheepshead, Knobbed Porgy, Red Porgy, and big Whitebone Porgys. My tops are 12lb 8oz Sheepshead.... 6lb 7oz Red Porgy.... 3 lb 12oz Knobbed Porgy.... 3lb 8oz Whitebone Porgy..... 2lb Pinfish...... 2lb 8oz Spottail Pinfish

Chris said...

Alright, so is a Ringtail Porgy the same as a Spottail Pinfish? I don't have much patience at all for them.

Capt. Marty said...

Yes, the Ringtail is the popular name for the Spottail Pinfish. Careful though, the smaller Silver Porgy is nearly identical to juvenile Spottail Pins.... The Silver P has a dark saddle on its caudal pundacle, wheras the Spottal Pin has a complete dark ring around its caudal pundacle.

I realize that this is straight out of the

"Who Cares" Files

Anonymous said...

A mother to those Porgys surely cares.....

Anonymous said...

The White.Bone.Porgy's mother cares

Capt. Marty said...

My momma doesn't care

Anonymous said...

PJ Hairston doesn't like the Redbone. He like it fast. He like to party. He like the White. Bone. Porgy

Capt. Marty said...

Ryan Hansborough makes the best Ceviche

Anonymous said...

B dawn shaw taw payski